Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby "Game" (Graphics & Sound) Frameworks

Ruby "Game" (Graphics & Sound) Frameworks

David Brady

What's the state of Ruby with regard to "game" frameworks, a la PyGame
or DirectX?

Is there an easy way to say "work in a 800x600 window, here's a
background, here's some sprites, here's a floating 3D model, here's some
sound" and just have it work?

My own researches so far:

There exist some OpenGL bindings for Ruby from someone called "Yoshi"; I
am unable to determine what state the project is in. The published
version is 0.32 and none of the files have been touched in a year.

There is a RubyGame site with a help wanted page but little else in the
way of telling you what's there. It hasn't reached a packagable state
yet; I was unable to build the framework. This is probably due to some
oddities with SDL; I am unable after 20 minutes of fighting with apt to
determine what SDL components my system has, let alone what version they
are. (sdl-config is clearly missing, but I cannot see what pkg to use
to make it not be missing.)

If you had to do an interactive graphics-and-sound presentation in Ruby
this weekend, where would you start?

-dB

--
David Brady
Grizzled C++/Python/Perl hacker. New to Ruby. Take my Ruby statements with the appropriate amount of salt.

Peter Thoman

David Brady wrote:

> What's the state of Ruby with regard to "game" frameworks, a la PyGame
> or DirectX?

I think the most usable framework is RUDL (http://rudl.sourceforge.net/)
I used it in 3 projects so far and never had any serious problems.

> Is there an easy way to say "work in a 800x600 window, here's a
> background, here's some sprites, here's a floating 3D model, here's
> some sound" and just have it work?

Everything except the floating 3D model is very easy with RUDL, you'd
have to render the model with OpenGL on your own. (But RUDL handles the
OpenGL initialization)

HTH,
- Peter

Florian Groß

David Brady wrote:

> What's the state of Ruby with regard to "game" frameworks, a la PyGame
> or DirectX?
>
> Is there an easy way to say "work in a 800x600 window, here's a
> background, here's some sprites, here's a floating 3D model, here's some
> sound" and just have it work?

Except for the 3D model this is all done by Ruby-Gosu in a very
Ruby-like way.

Have a look at http://www.raschke.de/julian/gosu/