Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Meta Information for Ruby -- Continuation of the discussion about testNG needing function attributes, etc.

Meta Information for Ruby -- Continuation of the discussion about testNG needing function attributes, etc.

Jeff Wood

I just came across this very interesting module today. And I really
think it provides the functionality I had been looking for when
thinking about HOW to add testNG ( testNG.org ) behavior into
Test::Unit

So, if any of you have the time, please take a look at :
http://mephle.org/MetaTags/

... also, I think this wouldn't be a bad format for building
documentation into ruby.

I mean, I don't know if it's been brought up before, but I really
think it would be useful to the newbies constantly joining our ranks
to have functionality similar to pythons doc strings and function help
that's built into the language.

if the first block of stuff within a class, module, def, etc is a
document-comment ( meaning wrapped in triple-quotes ) then that
information is stored in the object.
also, as things are parsed into objects, if we could simply set aside
a snapshop of how the function was defined... then, provide all of
this information under a .help method for the object. I think that
would be nice.

I've built something kinda like this using calls to RI from my help
function but, of course that doesn't cover things that ri can't reach
or aren't documented.

Anyways, opinions & feedback are always appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

--=20
"http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"

Jeff Wood

George Moschovitis

FYI,

we are working with Tran to implement something like this in Nano/Mega.
Similar functionality is more or less available in Nitro/Og but we plan
to generalize this, simplify/refactor/improve the implementation and
make it useful for other projects.

regards,
George.

Testng with ruby Shekar Ls Ruby 1 01-08-2009 04:34 PM
Being Unbanned by Google and Needing Meta-tags SEO Newbie Computer Support 4 02-08-2006 08:16 PM
Announcing TestNG for Eclipse Cedric Beust Java 0 03-30-2005 12:32 AM
Announcing TestNG 2.1 Cedric Beust Java 0 02-11-2005 09:58 PM
Announcing TestNG, a JUnit replacement Cedric Beust Java 0 04-28-2004 04:16 PM

Advertisments