Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby Books

Ruby Books

Charles Heizer

Hello,
I'm new to Ruby and what I have learned has been from the web. Came
someone please recommend a good Ruby book to use a a reference and
examples.

Thanks,
- Charles

Jared Richardson

"Charles Heizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello,
> I'm new to Ruby and what I have learned has been from the web. Came
> someone please recommend a good Ruby book to use a a reference and
> examples.
>
> Thanks,
> - Charles

The Pragmatic Programmer's pick-axe book is excellent (but I am a little
biased)...

http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html

Jared
http://www.jaredrichardson.net

rmagick@gmail.com

The most useful book for Ruby is _Programming Ruby The Pragmatic
Programmer's Guide, Second Edition_, by Dave Thomas. Around here it's
called "the Pickaxe." Here's a link:
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/t...uby/index.html.

After that book, get Hal Fulton's _The Ruby Way_.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

TLOlczyk

On 25 Aug 2005 11:01:48 -0700, "Charles Heizer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm new to Ruby and what I have learned has been from the web. Came
>someone please recommend a good Ruby book to use a a reference and
>examples.
>
>Thanks,
>- Charles

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

The reply-to email address is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.

Chris Game

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> The most useful book for Ruby is _Programming Ruby The Pragmatic
> Programmer's Guide, Second Edition_, by Dave Thomas. Around here it's
> called "the Pickaxe." Here's a link:
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/t...uby/index.html.
>
> After that book, get Hal Fulton's _The Ruby Way_.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

--
Chris Game

"An exclamation mark is like laughing at your own joke."
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Michael Vondung

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:57:36 GMT, Chris Game wrote:

> Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
> listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

http://tinyurl.com/72qv8 (amazon.co.uk) lists the book as available, and
says it is "usually dispatched within 24 hours". 20.21 including delivery.

M.

Karl von Laudermann

Charles Heizer wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to Ruby and what I have learned has been from the web. Came
> someone please recommend a good Ruby book to use a a reference and
> examples.

Allow me to throw in another vote for _Programming Ruby, Second
Edition_, by Dave Thomas. Basically, "the Pickaxe" is to the Ruby
language what "K&R" is to the C language; it's the de facto standard
Ruby reference book.

Charles Heizer

Thank you to everyone, I have placed a order for the Pickaxe. I really
appreciate it.

- Charles

Chris Game

Michael Vondung wrote:

>> Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
>> listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

> http://tinyurl.com/72qv8 (amazon.co.uk) lists the book as
> available, and says it is "usually dispatched within 24 hours".
> 20.21 including delivery.

Ha! They must have had a new shipload arrive! Thanks for the
correction.

Still looking a little old at 2001 printing date. I suppose the same
was/is true of Perl books though.

--
Chris Game

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that
it is comprehensible." -- Albert Einstein

Tim Hunter

Chris Game wrote:
> Michael Vondung wrote:
>

>>>Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
>>>listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

>>http://tinyurl.com/72qv8 (amazon.co.uk) lists the book as
>>available, and says it is "usually dispatched within 24 hours".
>>20.21 including delivery.

> Ha! They must have had a new shipload arrive! Thanks for the
> correction.
>
> Still looking a little old at 2001 printing date. I suppose the same
> was/is true of Perl books though.

Hal's book is still useful if a bit long in the tooth. For that matter,
I'm showing _my_ age but I like to think I'm still useful

The way to get new Ruby books is to buy current Ruby books. Publishers
don't want to finance new editions when they've still got stacks of the
old ones laying around.

Design Patterns Books and Best Practices Books. Luis Esteban Valencia ASP .Net 4 07-01-2005 07:29 AM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
exchange MCSD books for security books MCSD Frank MCSE 0 01-12-2004 12:17 AM
Finished Courses, Selecting Books for Exam Preparation (List of Books) Mac MCSD 2 12-17-2003 01:48 PM

Advertisments