Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > ANN: Interactive Fiction Mapper

ANN: Interactive Fiction Mapper

gga

Okay, this started as a little tool for one night to prove to myself
how good ruby and fxruby was and it slowly evolved into a one-week
project that is actually pretty fun. I guess it is a nice showcase of
what one can hack in ruby in a week.

Please visit the download section of:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ifmapper/

There you will find the following:

IFMapper
by Gonzalo Garramuno

What is it?

IFMapper is a tool for easily mapping interactive fiction games, also
known as text-based adventure games.

Why do we need it?

Because there are really no good mapping tools for these sort of games.
GUEmap is a commercial product and awkward to use, IFM is extremely
powerful but not very user friendly and Infomapper, of which IFMapper
borrows heavily, is a user friendly tool but windows only,
discontinued, and does not support large maps or easily shifting
locations around.

Features:

- Multiplatform (only tested on windows for now. would love to get
feedback from linux or osx users)
- Very simple click interface
- Complex paths supported (paths that loop on themselves or connect two
remote nodes)
- Mousewheel support for zooming in/out
- Middle mouse scrolling
- Rooms can have objects and tasks listed
- Automatic numbering of rooms
- Multiple map editing
- Ability to easily move rooms in map with arrow keys
- Complex connections and looping connections among rooms accepted
- Written in a simple and great scripting language (Ruby)
- Acrobat PDF output (in progress)
- Can read IFM files (albeit not everything is supported)
- Free

Library dependencies:
- FXRuby 1.4 or later
- PDFWriter 1.1.1 or later (only if you want PDF output)

Anyway, enjoy... There's still printing issues to address, undo to add,
better cut/paste and lots of code cleanup to do, but overall the main
functionality I wanted is there. I'm now just curious to get some
feedback on it.

Lyle Johnson

On 8/12/05, gga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Library dependencies:
> - FXRuby 1.4 or later

This should presumably read, "FXRuby 1.2 or later". FXRuby 1.4 has not
yet been released.

gga

Oh, but it works *so* much better on that version of fxruby. I swear.

The docs actually state the right stuff: you need 1.2.4 or later
(albeit I wouldn't be surprised if it also works on earlier fxruby's).
I also found the gem distribution was missing the icons (doh!), but it
should be fixed now.

I know of a couple of other bugs I need to squash, too, so expect a
release shortly.

gga

Oh, but it works *so* much better on that version of fxruby. I swear.

The docs actually state the right stuff: you need 1.2.4 or later
(albeit I wouldn't be surprised if it also works on earlier fxruby's).
I also found the gem distribution was missing the icons (doh!), but it
should be fixed now.

I know of a couple of other bugs I need to squash, too, so expect a
release shortly.

Bill Atkins

Perhaps that's part of the fiction.

On 8/12/05, Lyle Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/12/05, gga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>=20
> > Library dependencies:
> > - FXRuby 1.4 or later

>=20
> This should presumably read, "FXRuby 1.2 or later". FXRuby 1.4 has not
> yet been released.
>=20
>=20

--=20