Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > win32 serial port suggestions?

win32 serial port suggestions?

Levin Alexander

I'm looking for suggestions on how to access the serial port under =20
Windows. I found the following two libraries:

<http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=3Druby-serialport>
(last updated Feb. 2003)
<http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32serial/>
(last updated Jan. 2003)

Is anyone using these libraries and can recommend them? Are there better=
=20
alternatives?

I do not have a C++ compiler on Windows -- does anyone have precompiled =20
binaries that work with the one-click installer? (or should I be using =20
Cygwin?)

Thank You,
Levin

Shashank Date

Hi Levin,

--- Levin Alexander <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions on how to access the serial port under =20
> Windows. I found the following two libraries:
>=20
> <http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=3Druby-serialport>
> (last updated Feb. 2003)
> <http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32serial/>
> (last updated Jan. 2003)
>=20
> Is anyone using these libraries and can recommend them? Are there bett=

er =20
> alternatives?
>=20
> I do not have a C++ compiler on Windows -- does anyone have precompiled=

=20
> binaries that work with the one-click installer? (or should I be using=

=20
> Cygwin?)

I do not know if there is a "better" alternative than either of the two
libraries out there, but there is definitely one which does not require
the compiler on Windows: you can use the Win32API library to interface=20
directly.

> Thank You,
> Levin

HTH,
-- shanko

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
http://mail.yahoo.com=20

Dibya Prakash

Hi,
Win32API are a better option.