Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Just seen on c.l.py

Just seen on c.l.py

Stephen Kellett

Hi Folks,

Just browsing c.l.py and found this advertised as a Rails killer... hmmm
not very friendly.

http://www.djangoproject.com/

Make of it what you will.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html

gabriele renzi

Stephen Kellett ha scritto:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Just browsing c.l.py and found this advertised as a Rails killer... hmmm
> not very friendly.
>
> http://www.djangoproject.com/

I thought Django just used to kill bandits and evil overlords! [1]

[1]
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/Q-...stern_set.html

Vincent Foley

It's Django Fett, beware!

Seriously, I don't think a good full-stack web-development framework
for Python is a bad thing. Sure, some people may decide to use it
instead of Rails, but what are you gonna do about that? We can see
what they did right and try to bring that to Rails. I think one of
most important things to eventually get into Rails is being able to use
an already-existing database. I don't know, maybe with a YAML file, a
legacy.rb file, whatever. I don't know if django has that, but if they
do, it might be a good thing t investigate it.

Vincent.

James Britt

Stephen Kellett wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Just browsing c.l.py and found this advertised as a Rails killer... hmmm
> not very friendly.
>
> http://www.djangoproject.com/
>
> Make of it what you will.

See the thread on the Rails dev list about Django.

James

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On 7/16/05, gabriele renzi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Stephen Kellett ha scritto:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Just browsing c.l.py and found this advertised as a Rails killer... hmm=

> > not very friendly.
> >
> > http://www.djangoproject.com/

>=20
> I thought Django just used to kill bandits and evil overlords! [1]
>=20
>=20
> [1]
> http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/Q-...stern_set.html
>=20
>=20

Django Reinhart, my favorite Jazz artist-

http://www.djangomontreal.com/doc/DjangoStory.htm

Nick
--=20
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Phil Tomson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Stephen Kellett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>Just browsing c.l.py and found this advertised as a Rails killer... hmmm
>not very friendly.
>
> http://www.djangoproject.com/
>
>Make of it what you will.

I'm not much of a web programmer nor have I done any SQL so when I went
through Curt Hibb's Rails tutorial I kept thinking "why do I have to mess
with this SQL stuff? Why can't I describe the data/tables in Ruby and
then have Rails take care of all that stuff for me" (it seemed somehow like
the DRY principle was being violated).

So the first thing I notice about Django just now was:

"Design your model
Start by describing your database layout in Python code. Django's
data-model API offers many rich ways of representing your models -- ...

Install it
Next, run the Django command-line utility. It'll create the database
tables for you automatically, in the database specified in your Django
settings."

This seems appealing. Is there a way of doing this in Rails?

Phil

gabriele renzi

Phil Tomson ha scritto:

> This seems appealing. Is there a way of doing this in Rails?

AFAIK this cannot be done with rails' ActiveRecord but it should be
possible to do it with Og, the object/relational bridge in nitro.
And you should be able to mix & match pieces from nitro and rails (and
wee). Cool ain't it?

James Britt

Phil Tomson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Stephen Kellett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>Just browsing c.l.py and found this advertised as a Rails killer... hmmm
>>not very friendly.
>>
>> http://www.djangoproject.com/
>>
>>Make of it what you will.
>>

> I'm not much of a web programmer nor have I done any SQL so when I went
> through Curt Hibb's Rails tutorial I kept thinking "why do I have to mess
> with this SQL stuff? Why can't I describe the data/tables in Ruby and
> then have Rails take care of all that stuff for me" (it seemed somehow like
> the DRY principle was being violated).

This is how Nitro works. The class definitions drive the tables, not
the other way around.

www.nitrohq.com

James

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/16/05, Vincent Foley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It's Django Fett, beware!
>=20
> Seriously, I don't think a good full-stack web-development framework
> for Python is a bad thing. Sure, some people may decide to use it
> instead of Rails, but what are you gonna do about that? We can see
> what they did right and try to bring that to Rails. I think one of
> most important things to eventually get into Rails is being able to use
> an already-existing database. I don't know, maybe with a YAML file, a
> legacy.rb file, whatever. I don't know if django has that, but if they
> do, it might be a good thing t investigate it.

Rails can use existing databases just fine. You lose some of the
magic stuff, but most of it works fine, AFAIK.

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/16/05, James Britt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Phil Tomson wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Stephen Kellett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Folks,
> >>
> >>Just browsing c.l.py and found this advertised as a Rails killer... hmm=

> >>not very friendly.
> >>
> >> http://www.djangoproject.com/
> >>
> >>Make of it what you will.
> >>

> > I'm not much of a web programmer nor have I done any SQL so when I went
> > through Curt Hibb's Rails tutorial I kept thinking "why do I have to me=

ss
> > with this SQL stuff? Why can't I describe the data/tables in Ruby and
> > then have Rails take care of all that stuff for me" (it seemed somehow =

like
> > the DRY principle was being violated).

>=20
> This is how Nitro works. The class definitions drive the tables, not
> the other way around.
>=20
> www.nitrohq.com
>=20
>=20

If you use Migrations (introduced very recently with Rails), you can
specify the database structure in Rails. All that's needed is for you
to create the database.