Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Possibility using win32ole?

Possibility using win32ole?

gregarican

I have an old DOS app used for retail polling that I have to babysit.
The app runs as a VDM window within a Windows 2000 Server session. That
particular DOS window (when it has the focus) needs to receive a simple
keystroke such as <Enter>. There are other windows which could be
present, but when it has the focus this particular DOS window should
get the keystroke. If another window receives the keystroke it could
cancel the polling process.

What I am wondering is if it is possible to write a Ruby script that I
could schedule to submit a keystroke to that particular DOS VDM window
based on its window name. Is this something that can be done? I am
starting to revisit the Ruby API docs now. But if there isn't a method
I can create or an existing method I can invoke to do this I might look
elsewhere...

gregarican

gregarican wrote:

> I have an old DOS app used for retail polling that I have to babysit.
> The app runs as a VDM window within a Windows 2000 Server session. That
> particular DOS window (when it has the focus) needs to receive a simple
> keystroke such as <Enter>. There are other windows which could be
> present, but when it has the focus this particular DOS window should
> get the keystroke. If another window receives the keystroke it could
> cancel the polling process.
>

> What I am wondering is if it is possible to write a Ruby script that I
> could schedule to submit a keystroke to that particular DOS VDM window
> based on its window name. Is this something that can be done? I am
> starting to revisit the Ruby API docs now. But if there isn't a method
> I can create or an existing method I can invoke to do this I might look
> elsewhere...

Actually I wouldn't be using win32ole to initialize these windows so I
couldn't simply use the SendKeys win32ole method after create a new
win32ole object. These are existing windows launched from a third party
non-Ruby application. Thinking about it I suppose I should be looking
at the win32api documentation to iterate through the open windows. From
there sending a keystroke to a particular window would be the course of
action. This would be the right track, correct?

Lorenzo Jorquera

--0-1315128340-1120835362=:38380

I think you should use AutoItX ( http://www.autoitscript.com/AutoIt/down=
loads.php ). =20
It can wait until a window gets the focus and also can send a keystroke t=
o it. It has a COM interface, so it is easy to use it from Ruby.

gregarican <(E-Mail Removed)> escribi=F3:
gregarican wrote:

> I have an old DOS app used for retail polling that I have to babysit.
> The app runs as a VDM window within a Windows 2000 Server session. That
> particular DOS window (when it has the focus) needs to receive a simple
> keystroke such as . There are other windows which could be
> present, but when it has the focus this particular DOS window should
> get the keystroke. If another window receives the keystroke it could
> cancel the polling process.
>

> What I am wondering is if it is possible to write a Ruby script that I
> could schedule to submit a keystroke to that particular DOS VDM window
> based on its window name. Is this something that can be done? I am
> starting to revisit the Ruby API docs now. But if there isn't a method
> I can create or an existing method I can invoke to do this I might look
> elsewhere...

Actually I wouldn't be using win32ole to initialize these windows so I
couldn't simply use the SendKeys win32ole method after create a new
win32ole object. These are existing windows launched from a third party
non-Ruby application. Thinking about it I suppose I should be looking
at the win32api documentation to iterate through the open windows. From
there sending a keystroke to a particular window would be the course of
action. This would be the right track, correct?

Correo Yahoo!
Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y antispam =A1gratis!=20
Reg=EDstrate ya - http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/=20

Lorenzo Jorquera wrote:

> I think you should use AutoItX ( http://www.autoitscript.com/AutoIt/downloads.php ).
> It can wait until a window gets the focus and also can send a keystroke to it. It has a > COM interface, so it is easy to use it from Ruby.

Awesome. I figured there probably was some Windows utility that could
perform this easier than reinventing the wheel myself. Appreciate the
tip. Thanks!

James Britt

Lorenzo Jorquera wrote:
> I think you should use AutoItX (
> http://www.autoitscript.com/AutoIt/downloads.php ).
> It can wait until a window gets the focus and also can send a
> keystroke to it. It has a COM interface, so it is easy to use it from
> Ruby.

Quite true. I script AutoIt with Ruby for a few things. It would be
good option here.

James

gregarican

James Britt wrote:

> Quite true. I script AutoIt with Ruby for a few things. It would be
> good option here.
>

> James

I have already whipped up the AutoIt script and am so thankful that I
was pointed in this direction. This utility has saved me the agony of
remoting in to coax this old DOS app along its way. Great stuff. I can
see employing this utility for lots of other things as well. My laptop
should soon be soundly tucked away while I am getting extra sleep at
night