Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > RDoc where are you?

RDoc where are you?

Xeno Campanoli

I've been trying for well over a month now, and I cannot get access to RDOC.
Is this some kind of vast Masonic conspiracy eminating out of Downing Street,
or am I just dumb as a sack of nails or something? gems won't install it,
and it doesn't run like it's says in pickaxe. I use both SuSE and Debian,
and would much prefer to be programming in Ruby, rather than trying to figure
out how to get all the parts installed all the time.

Sincerely, TAX (That Awful Xeno).
xc

Belorion

,
> and it doesn't run like it's says in pickaxe. I use both SuSE and Debian=

,
> and would much prefer to be programming in Ruby, rather than trying to fi=

gure
> out how to get all the parts installed all the time.
>=20
> Sincerely, TAX (That Awful Xeno).
> xc

Probably because RDoc is now part of core Ruby. If you have 1.8.2
installed, you have RDoc.

Matt

James Edward Gray II

On Jul 1, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Xeno Campanoli wrote:

> I've been trying for well over a month now, and I cannot get access
> to RDOC.
> Is this some kind of vast Masonic conspiracy eminating out of
> Downing Street,

<laughs> I felt like this too, when I was new.

> or am I just dumb as a sack of nails or something?

Surely not.

> gems won't install it,
> and it doesn't run like it's says in pickaxe. I use both SuSE and
> Debian,
> and would much prefer to be programming in Ruby, rather than trying
> to figure
> out how to get all the parts installed all the time.

First, are you aware of http://ruby-doc.org/? It's the online
version of the documentation, so you can access it right now.

Second, I build the RDoc files from the source which means that I type:

$ sudo rdoc --ri-system

In the root level directory of Ruby's source. That builds the docs
and afterwards, ri should function as expected.

Good luck and welcome!

James Edward Gray II