Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Google Maps Hacks

[ANN] Google Maps Hacks

Ben Giddings

In the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often", I want to provide my
Google Maps Hacks files and see if anybody can do anything
interesting with them:

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs...glemapshacks/?
cvsroot=googlemapshacks

I wanted to do this so I could create my own custom highlighted
routes on maps. Google Maps is great, but although it marks major
roads, it doesn't mark bike routes. I have other maps that show that
info, but Google Maps is much more convenient sometimes. What I
wanted was a way to mark the bike routes on a Google map.

So, here's what I have. I can create an XML file that contains a
"polyline" element. This draws a blue line on the map like the one
you can get when you ask for directions. The process for getting the
line on the map is horribly convoluted, but it works, and the
coordinate encoding system seems to work pretty well too. I'm hoping
that maybe someone else will feel inspired by this and want to make
the process much more useful.

The files in CVS are in a pretty well commented, pretty useful
state. Like I said, the process is awful now, but pretty well
documented in the comments for coords.rb.

Enjoy!

Ben

Ara.T.Howard

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Ben Giddings wrote:

> In the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often", I want to provide my Google
> Maps Hacks files and see if anybody can do anything interesting with them:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs...glemapshacks/?
> cvsroot=googlemapshacks
>
> I wanted to do this so I could create my own custom highlighted routes on
> maps. Google Maps is great, but although it marks major roads, it doesn't
> mark bike routes. I have other maps that show that info, but Google Maps is
> much more convenient sometimes. What I wanted was a way to mark the bike
> routes on a Google map.
>
> So, here's what I have. I can create an XML file that contains a "polyline"
> element. This draws a blue line on the map like the one you can get when you
> ask for directions. The process for getting the line on the map is horribly
> convoluted, but it works, and the coordinate encoding system seems to work
> pretty well too. I'm hoping that maybe someone else will feel inspired by
> this and want to make the process much more useful.
>
> The files in CVS are in a pretty well commented, pretty useful state. Like I
> said, the process is awful now, but pretty well documented in the comments
> for coords.rb.

this sounds awesome! i've been doing this by hand

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Michael Campbell

On 6/20/05, Ben Giddings <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often", I want to provide my
> Google Maps Hacks files and see if anybody can do anything
> interesting with them:
>=20
> http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs...glemapshacks/?
> cvsroot=3Dgooglemapshacks

Or... http://tinyurl.com/bu4y6

Ben Giddings

On Monday 20 June 2005 10:16, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> this sounds awesome! i've been doing this by hand

There's a proof-of-concept out there for really interesting maps using the
"paths" in interesting ways:

http://www.chicagocrime.org/zipcodes/60617/

Adding the map locations wouldn't be too difficult, but I think there's
still a lot of work to do to get really good paths.

Anyhow, any contributions you can make to the effort would be great. I'll
give anybody who wants it CVS access.

All I want, in the end, is a map with my bike paths highlighted.

Ben