Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Article on Ruby/Rails

Article on Ruby/Rails

Tom Copeland

Hi all -

Hope this isn't a duplicate posting; there's an article by David Mertz
on Ruby+Rails on IBM devWorks here:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...y/l-rubyrails/

David also did a Cerise article earlier this year:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...wa-cerise.html

Yours,

Tom

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 17:12 -0400, Tom Copeland wrote:
> David also did a Cerise article earlier this year:
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...wa-cerise.html

Er, no he didn't, that was Koen Vervloesem. Doh!

tom

James Britt

Tom Copeland wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 17:12 -0400, Tom Copeland wrote:
>
>>David also did a Cerise article earlier this year:
>>
>>http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...wa-cerise.html

> Er, no he didn't, that was Koen Vervloesem. Doh!

But he *has* written a book on Python; it first struck me as an odd
touch that the names in the address book were Pythonistas. Then I saw why.

James

Gavin Kistner

--Apple-Mail-2-994247000
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

On Jun 15, 2005, at 3:12 PM, Tom Copeland wrote:
> Hope this isn't a duplicate posting; there's an article by David Mertz
> on Ruby+Rails on IBM devWorks here:

Ruby on Rails also just got a bump in the JavaLobby newsletter out
today. Rails excerpt follows:

Ruby on Rails is a powerhouse
I didn't get to spend much time at the No Fluff Just Stuff symposium
here in Research Triangle Park this past weekend, but one noteworthy
session I did get to attend was Dave Thomas' presentation about "Ruby
on Rails." I was amazed as I sat through the 90-minute presentation
watching Dave knock out feature after feature of a real-life web
application in record time and with more compact code than any I had
previously seen. The Rails developers seem to have carefully
considered the recurring pattern needs of web apps, and the framework
provides full functionality for a typical database-backed CRUD
(create, read, update, delete) application in a matter of minutes.
Rails uses intelligent reflection to map database tables to Ruby
objects, and the apps you generate with the Rails scripts form a very
reasonable foundation for extending and customizing to meet your
specific needs. Unit testing is built-in by default, as is a full web
server for testing and debugging. The next time you need to get the
job done very quickly you may want to try out Ruby on Rails for
yourself. I don't know enough yet to say how much it can scale, but
Rails is quite clearly a major step forward for those who want web
application development to be easier. Dave has a new book in beta,
check it out here.

--Apple-Mail-2-994247000--