Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > set focus to textbox after click event- tried everything please please help!

set focus to textbox after click event- tried everything please please help!

JC

Hello-
I have a form which has a listbox, a textbox and a submit button. The
user types a phone number into the textbox, clicks button, text gets
added to the listbox. After this process I need the focus to be back
in the textbox. Sounds easy hu?
Here's my code-

Private Sub cmdAddLine_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles cmdAddLine.Click

lstLines.Items.Add(PhoneFormat(txtAddLine.Text))
txtAddLine.Text = ""
setFocus(txtAddLine)

End Sub

Public Sub setFocus(ByVal ctrl As System.Web.UI.Control)

Dim strS As String
strS = "<SCRIPT language='javascript'>document.getElementById('" +
ctrl.ID + "').focus();</SCRIPT>"
RegisterStartupScript("focus", strS)

End Sub

This will not place the focus in the textbox. What am I missing?

Again, PLEASE help. Thanks much!

Craig Deelsnyder

On 7 Jul 2004 10:42:20 -0700, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello-
> I have a form which has a listbox, a textbox and a submit button. The
> user types a phone number into the textbox, clicks button, text gets
> added to the listbox. After this process I need the focus to be back
> in the textbox. Sounds easy hu?
> Here's my code-
>
> Private Sub cmdAddLine_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
> System.EventArgs) Handles cmdAddLine.Click
>
> lstLines.Items.Add(PhoneFormat(txtAddLine.Text))
> txtAddLine.Text = ""
> setFocus(txtAddLine)
>
> End Sub
>
> Public Sub setFocus(ByVal ctrl As System.Web.UI.Control)
>
> Dim strS As String
> strS = "<SCRIPT language='javascript'>document.getElementById('" +
> ctrl.ID + "').focus();</SCRIPT>"
> RegisterStartupScript("focus", strS)
>
> End Sub
>
> This will not place the focus in the textbox. What am I missing?
>
> Again, PLEASE help. Thanks much!

Do you get a JS error? I assume you are; your control will get a unique
client ID that .NET creates on the actual HTML, so you can't just look for
ctrl.ID. Try ctrl.ClientID

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...mscontrols.asp

Craig Deelsnyder

gah, dang sig...ignore, just testing/updating my sig correctly..

--
Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

ashelley@inlandkwpp.com

On 7 Jul 2004 10:42:20 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JC) wrote:

>Hello-
>I have a form which has a listbox, a textbox and a submit button. The
>user types a phone number into the textbox, clicks button, text gets
>added to the listbox. After this process I need the focus to be back
>in the textbox. Sounds easy hu?
>Here's my code-
>
>Private Sub cmdAddLine_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
>System.EventArgs) Handles cmdAddLine.Click
>
>lstLines.Items.Add(PhoneFormat(txtAddLine.Text) )
>txtAddLine.Text = ""
>setFocus(txtAddLine)
>
>End Sub
>
>Public Sub setFocus(ByVal ctrl As System.Web.UI.Control)
>
>Dim strS As String
>strS = "<SCRIPT language='javascript'>document.getElementById('" +
>ctrl.ID + "').focus();</SCRIPT>"
>RegisterStartupScript("focus", strS)
>
>End Sub
>
>This will not place the focus in the textbox. What am I missing?
>
>Again, PLEASE help. Thanks much!

Put a blank label at the bottom of the form and set its text property
in the codebehind instead of using the registerstartupscript.

-Adam

Jeff C

) You're all wrong. I took and made a clean application and it
worked, so I knew it wasn't the code there. I went back to my app,
(made a copy) and proceded to strip everything out until it worked.
Well, after everything was gone it still didn't work. There was only
one remaining thing, smartnavigaion = true.
That fixed the focus problem by turning it off, however it introduced a
whole new set of problems.
Having a database application, the users need to not use the back
button. I've got all the standard code for this but it's still not as
clean as smartnav.
Is there ANY way to overcome smartnav's focus problem?
MICROSOFT????
I didn't think so.
Anyhow, I've solved one problem only to intoduce many more. I may have
more ?'s soon, some really good ones I've been working on. Thanks for
the help so far.
Jeff