Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Rant 0.3.8

[ANN] Rant 0.3.8

Stefan Lang

Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
similar to Rake.

=3D=3D What's new in this release?

* Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
* Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
* Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
* rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.

I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

=3D=3D Installing Rant

You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
=A0 =A0 % gem install --remote rant

or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=
=3D615)
and install with install.rb:
=A0 =A0 % ruby install.rb

=3D=3D More about Rant

The equivalent to a Makefile for make is the Rantfile. An
Rantfile is actually a valid Ruby script that is read by the
rant command.

Rant currently features:
* Defining custom tasks
* Automated packaging, testing and RDoc generation for Ruby
=A0 applications and libraries.
* Primitive support for compiling C# sources portably with csc, cscc
=A0 and mcs.
* Dependency checking for C/C++ source files.
* Multiple buildfiles (e.g. one per directory).
* The rant-import command creates a monolithic rant script,
=A0 so you don't depend on an rant installation anymore.
* A configure plugin for easy environment and build-parameter
=A0 checking (but not like autoconf!) which saves data in a yaml file.

=3D=3D Resources

Current docs:: http://make.ruby-co.de
(BTW: Thanks to Jan Krueger for the nice URL
Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/

=2D-=20
Stefan

ES

Stefan Lang wrote:
> Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
> similar to Rake.

Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

> == What's new in this release?
>
> * Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
> * Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
> * Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
> * rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
>
> I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something

> == Installing Rant
>
> You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
> % gem install --remote rant
>
> or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=615)
> and install with install.rb:
> % ruby install.rb
>
> == More about Rant
>
> The equivalent to a Makefile for make is the Rantfile. An
> Rantfile is actually a valid Ruby script that is read by the
> rant command.
>
> Rant currently features:
> * Defining custom tasks
> * Automated packaging, testing and RDoc generation for Ruby
> applications and libraries.
> * Primitive support for compiling C# sources portably with csc, cscc
> and mcs.
> * Dependency checking for C/C++ source files.
> * Multiple buildfiles (e.g. one per directory).
> * The rant-import command creates a monolithic rant script,
> so you don't depend on an rant installation anymore.
> * A configure plugin for easy environment and build-parameter
> checking (but not like autoconf!) which saves data in a yaml file.
>
> == Resources
>
> Current docs:: http://make.ruby-co.de
> (BTW: Thanks to Jan Krueger for the nice URL
> Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/

template<typename duck>
void quack(duck& d) { d.quack(); }

Joao Pedrosa

Oi,

On 5/14/05, ES <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Stefan Lang wrote:
> > Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
> > similar to Rake.

>=20
> Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
> replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

I've only experimented with Rant yet, but I like it.=20

> > =3D=3D What's new in this release?
> >
> > * Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
> > * Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
> > * Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
> > * rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
> >
> > I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

>=20
> Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
> Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something

I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
language. Let me think about three naming options:
- Anter
- Antest
- Rmk - Ruby Make
- Rbmk
- Mir - Make in Ruby
- Mirb

Cheers,
Joao

ES

Joao Pedrosa wrote:
> Oi,
>
> On 5/14/05, ES <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Stefan Lang wrote:
>>
>>>Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
>>>similar to Rake.

>>Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
>>replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

> I've only experimented with Rant yet, but I like it.
>

>>>== What's new in this release?
>>>
>>>* Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
>>>* Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
>>>* Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
>>>* rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

>>Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
>>Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something

> I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
> perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
> thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
> language. Let me think about three naming options:
> - Anter
> - Antest
> - Rmk - Ruby Make
> - Rbmk
> - Mir - Make in Ruby
> - Mirb

Hehe, maybe Numbat[1]?

[1] http://australian-animals.net/numbat.htm

--
template<typename duck>
void quack(duck& d) { d.quack(); }

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,

> > I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
> > perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
> > thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
> > language. Let me think about three naming options:
> > - Anter
> > - Antest
> > - Rmk - Ruby Make
> > - Rbmk
> > - Mir - Make in Ruby
> > - Mirb

>=20
> Hehe, maybe Numbat[1]?

Sounds great. Here is a south american one:

Giant Anteater: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/591.shtml

Cheers,
Joao

Stefan Lang

On Sunday 15 May 2005 04:23, ES wrote:
> Stefan Lang wrote:
> > Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
> > similar to Rake.

> Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
> replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback!

[...]
> > I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

> Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
> Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something

It would take some time to rename Rant, but if you can come up with
something really good, yes.
Didn't know about "wombats" before, interesting animals...

Stefan

Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Stefan Lang wrote:

> Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
> similar to Rake.
>
> =3D=3D What's new in this release?
>
> * Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
> * Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
> * Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
> * rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
>
> I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.
>
> =3D=3D Installing Rant
>
> You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
> =A0 =A0 % gem install --remote rant
>
> or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=
> =3D615)
> and install with install.rb:
> =A0 =A0 % ruby install.rb
>
> =3D=3D More about Rant
>
> The equivalent to a Makefile for make is the Rantfile. An
> Rantfile is actually a valid Ruby script that is read by the
> rant command.
>
> Rant currently features:
> * Defining custom tasks
> * Automated packaging, testing and RDoc generation for Ruby
> =A0 applications and libraries.
> * Primitive support for compiling C# sources portably with csc, cscc
> =A0 and mcs.
> * Dependency checking for C/C++ source files.
> * Multiple buildfiles (e.g. one per directory).
> * The rant-import command creates a monolithic rant script,
> =A0 so you don't depend on an rant installation anymore.
> * A configure plugin for easy environment and build-parameter
> =A0 checking (but not like autoconf!) which saves data in a yaml file.
>
> =3D=3D Resources
>
> Current docs:: http://make.ruby-co.de
> (BTW: Thanks to Jan Krueger for the nice URL
> Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/
>
> =2D-=20
> Stefan

this looks very cool. can you compare/contrast this with rake?

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting
| that they pass away. --aitken roshi

gabriele renzi

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:

> this looks very cool. can you compare/contrast this with rake?

look here for a previous explanation
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/135299

Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov

On Sun, 15 May 2005, gabriele renzi wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
>

>> this looks very cool. can you compare/contrast this with rake?
>>

> look here for a previous explanation
> http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/135299

thank you!

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting
| that they pass away. --aitken roshi

Jay Levitt

says...
> It would take some time to rename Rant, but if you can come up with
> something really good, yes.
> Didn't know about "wombats" before, interesting animals...

Wombat was one of the first computer games ever...
--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only