Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Think twice before you install "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta1" on your developement machine.

Think twice before you install "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta1" on your developement machine.

bredal Jensen

It will go ahead and configure IIS to use asp.net 2.0 for your existing
asp.net sites resulting in the fact that you can no longer debug your
asp.net v1.1.4... applications with visual studio.net 2003.

I have spent some time wondering why i could no longer debug my
existing apps. right after my instalation completed and at my big surprise,
IIS has "configured" them to use
asp.net 2.
When i manually corrected this, things started working again.

I wondwer how many other untold stories there are out there about this
issue.

Thanks

JB

middletree

Thanks for this warning. I haevn't installed my Epress stuff yet, and now I
will do so on VMWare or VPC.

"bredal Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It will go ahead and configure IIS to use asp.net 2.0 for your existing
> asp.net sites resulting in the fact that you can no longer debug your
> asp.net v1.1.4... applications with visual studio.net 2003.
>
> I have spent some time wondering why i could no longer debug my
> existing apps. right after my instalation completed and at my big

surprise,
> IIS has "configured" them to use
> asp.net 2.
> When i manually corrected this, things started working again.
>
> I wondwer how many other untold stories there are out there about this
> issue.
>

> Thanks
>

> JB

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

You can set the version for the roots that are still 1.1, using
aspnet_regiis:

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"bredal Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It will go ahead and configure IIS to use asp.net 2.0 for your existing
> asp.net sites resulting in the fact that you can no longer debug your
> asp.net v1.1.4... applications with visual studio.net 2003.
>
> I have spent some time wondering why i could no longer debug my
> existing apps. right after my instalation completed and at my big

surprise,
> IIS has "configured" them to use
> asp.net 2.
> When i manually corrected this, things started working again.
>
> I wondwer how many other untold stories there are out there about this
> issue.
>

> Thanks
>

> JB

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

A good idea always. Never install betaware on a production machine (machine
you cannot afford to take time to rebuild).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"middletree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for this warning. I haevn't installed my Epress stuff yet, and now

> will do so on VMWare or VPC.
>

> "bredal Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > It will go ahead and configure IIS to use asp.net 2.0 for your existing
> > asp.net sites resulting in the fact that you can no longer debug your
> > asp.net v1.1.4... applications with visual studio.net 2003.
> >
> > I have spent some time wondering why i could no longer debug my
> > existing apps. right after my instalation completed and at my big

> surprise,
> > IIS has "configured" them to use
> > asp.net 2.
> > When i manually corrected this, things started working again.
> >
> > I wondwer how many other untold stories there are out there about this
> > issue.
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > JB

clintonG

You can get a free tool to switch versions on demand from
http://www.denisbauer.com/

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

"bredal Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It will go ahead and configure IIS to use asp.net 2.0 for your existing
> asp.net sites resulting in the fact that you can no longer debug your
> asp.net v1.1.4... applications with visual studio.net 2003.
>
> I have spent some time wondering why i could no longer debug my
> existing apps. right after my instalation completed and at my big surprise,
> IIS has "configured" them to use
> asp.net 2.
> When i manually corrected this, things started working again.
>
> I wondwer how many other untold stories there are out there about this
> issue.
>

> Thanks
>

> JB

bredal Jensen

The problem here is that the new tool ships with its own "embeded" web
server so i do not
understand why it has to mess with IIS ?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...