Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > accessing gmail account via POP3

accessing gmail account via POP3

Phil Tomson

Has anyone written any Ruby code for accessing their gmail account that
they would be willing to share?

Here are the requirements according to google:

pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995

Phil

Douglas Livingstone

Would this help?

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdo.../Net/POP3.html

Douglas

On Apr 5, 2005 4:59 PM, Phil Tomson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anyone written any Ruby code for accessing their gmail account that
> they would be willing to share?
>
> Here are the requirements according to google:
>
> pop.gmail.com
> Use SSL: Yes
> Port: 995
>
> Phil

Pete Elmore

Douglas Livingstone wrote:
> Would this help?
>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdo.../Net/POP3.html

It doesn't support SSL, does it? I couldn't find anything about it in
the docs. I tried this about a week or two ago, and was unable to get
it to authenticate me without SSL.

Doug Beaver

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:59:45AM +0900, Phil Tomson wrote:
> Has anyone written any Ruby code for accessing their gmail account
> that they would be willing to share?
>
> Here are the requirements according to google:

ruby-core#2703 and ruby-core#2745 include patches to add ssl support to
Net:OP3. from the thread, it looks like it was checked in, but maybe
into 1.9 only?

i imagine you could use the patches as a guide and write a small wrapper
class that sets up the SSLSocket to gmail...

doug

--
"Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the
world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark