Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [EVALUATION] - E04 - jamPersist Evaluation Case Applied to Ruby

Reply
Thread Tools

[EVALUATION] - E04 - jamPersist Evaluation Case Applied to Ruby

 
 
Ilias Lazaridis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
[EVALUATION] - E03 - jamLang Evaluation Case Applied to Ruby
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2943e7c6ed6968

The above thread was exceptionally productive.

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby.html

[as it looks, i will take ruby as the "reference" and compare other
languages against it]

-

The next (more practical) evaluation is persistence:

http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html

there are ready evaluations of another products, thus you can understand
the sequence easier, e.g.:

http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/schevo.html

you can simply take the above sequence and apply it to the library /
product that you suggest for ruby persistency.

[alternatively, you can just suggest the library/product to use - or
provide a pointer to listing]

..

--
http://lazaridis.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ilias Lazaridis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> [EVALUATION] - E03 - jamLang Evaluation Case Applied to Ruby
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2943e7c6ed6968
>
> The above thread was exceptionally productive.
>
> http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby.html
>
> [as it looks, i will take ruby as the "reference" and compare other
> languages against it]
>
> -
>
> The next (more practical) evaluation is persistence:


I am a little disapointed about the feedback in this thread.

> http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html
>
> there are ready evaluations of another products, thus you can understand
> the sequence easier, e.g.:
>
> http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/schevo.html
>
> you can simply take the above sequence and apply it to the library /
> product that you suggest for ruby persistency.
>
> [alternatively, you can just suggest the library/product to use - or
> provide a pointer to listing]


I am aware about 2 products:

Nitro.Og
http://nitro.rubyforge.org/

Rails.ActiveRecord:
http://ar.rubyonrails.com/

any other solutions for ruby persistency?

..

--
http://lazaridis.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Austin Ziegler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Ilias:

There are numerous solutions for Ruby persistance. See
[ruby-talk:130871] for a long list that I provided you on the 14th of
February.

I think that it's high time you start trying to implement something --
a lot of the things that you're not "getting" will make sense when you
try to implement something, rather than asking everyone else to do
your homework.

-austin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ilias Lazaridis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Austin Ziegler wrote:
> Ilias:
>
> There are numerous solutions for Ruby persistance. See
> [ruby-talk:130871] for a long list that I provided you on the 14th of
> February.


http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/130871

this is not complete information (see below).

> I think that it's high time you start trying to implement something --
> a lot of the things that you're not "getting" will make sense when you
> try to implement something, rather than asking everyone else to do
> your homework.


Please do not twist the facts.

I like to collect concise information, which I reuse to present it to
other intresents, thus I reduce their learning and research curve.

jamLang.Ruby is the first step:
http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby.html

jamPersist.Ruby.??? is the second step:
http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html

step for what?

To showcase (busy) evaluators within 20 min. the superiority of ruby.

in a direct, quick and simple comparison to other languages / systems.

-

This should be of intrest for the ruby community.

A simple give an take.

-

But as it looks, I have to do all the work myself.

-

I've looked at rubyforge:

http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/tro...hp?form_cat=66
http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/tro...hp?form_cat=68

just ActiveRecord and Og seem to be relevant for this evaluation.

..

--
http://lazaridis.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Ankerl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
> I like to collect concise information, which I reuse to present it to
> other intresents, thus I reduce their learning and research curve.


All the information you are looking for is easily available here:
http://www.google.com/

Just in case this is not enough, a good resource for more information is
here:
http://www.amazon.de/


> This should be of intrest for the ruby community.
> A simple give an take.


How many evaluators have already used your evaluations, do you have any
major references to show the relevance of your studies?


> But as it looks, I have to do all the work myself.


That's true, you should try to do your work by yourself, you cannot
expect others to do your work for free.

martinus
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kirk Haines
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

> I've looked at rubyforge:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/tro...hp?form_cat=66
> http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/tro...hp?form_cat=68
>
> just ActiveRecord and Og seem to be relevant for this evaluation.


I have skipped a lot of this thread. However, if you are talking about
persistence layers, there are MANY more than that.

Kansas (http://enigo.com/projects/kansas), Lafcadio
(http://lafcadio.rubyforge.org), Criteria ([not an ORM, but a layer for SQL
abstraction] http://mephle.org/Criteria), Madeline, Pstore, and KirbyBase
pop immediately to mind.


Kirk Haines

 
Reply With Quote
 
Austin Ziegler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
On Apr 7, 2005 9:49 AM, Kirk Haines <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kansas (http://enigo.com/projects/kansas ), Lafcadio
> (http://lafcadio.rubyforge.org ), Criteria ([not an ORM, but a layer for SQL
> abstraction] http://mephle.org/Criteria) , Madeline, Pstore, and KirbyBase
> pop immediately to mind.


Indeed. I named a number of these in the message which Ilias so
blithely ignored.

Maybe he should start looking on the RAA.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
* Alternate: (E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dick Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
* Ilias Lazaridis <(E-Mail Removed)> [0410 14:10]:
> jamPersist.Ruby.??? is the second step:
> http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html
>
> step for what?
>
> To showcase (busy) evaluators within 20 min. the superiority of ruby.
>
> in a direct, quick and simple comparison to other languages / systems.
> This should be of intrest for the ruby community.
>
> A simple give an take.


There is no 'give' from you Ilias, you are just pootling amay at
'EVALUATION's nobody will ever read. Like you have been for years.

If people want to know about Ruby they could ask on the list quite
easily. We put up with any number of questions, you are living proof
of that.

> -
>
> But as it looks, I have to do all the work myself.


Good idea.

--
'Sweet Zombie Jesus!'
-- Prof. Farnsworth
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ilias Lazaridis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Kirk Haines wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
>>I've looked at rubyforge:
>>
>>http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/tro...hp?form_cat=66
>>http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/tro...hp?form_cat=68
>>
>>just ActiveRecord and Og seem to be relevant for this evaluation.

>
> I have skipped a lot of this thread. However, if you are talking about
> persistence layers, there are MANY more than that.
>
> Kansas (http://enigo.com/projects/kansas),


seems to be in development.

status: alpha.

-

http://enigo.com/projects/kansas/tut...hy_use_it.html

contains SQL code.

missed requirement: transparency

-

product rejected.

> Lafcadio (http://lafcadio.rubyforge.org)


"It currently supports MySQL. in the future it will support a wide range
of databases."

missed requirement: support multiple databases.

-

product rejected.

>, Criteria ([not an ORM, but a layer for SQL
> abstraction] http://mephle.org/Criteria),


SQL-centric: rejected.

> Madeline, Pstore, and KirbyBase pop immediately to mind.


requirements: stable or at least a beta, transparency, multiple datastores.

?

(still, just ActiveRecord and Og pass the initial requirements)

> Kirk Haines
>



--
http://lazaridis.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kirk Haines
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

>> Kansas (http://enigo.com/projects/kansas),

>
> seems to be in development.
>
> status: alpha.


AR is in development, too. I should probably update that info, but the fact
is that Kansas is a lightweight, simple, stable system with fairly few
"unimplemented features" (my buzzword for bugs used across a veriety of
production applications, in one version or another, for well over a year
and currently servicing several million transactions a day. So, it
probably should not be listed as alpha, though the version number will stay
low because it isn't what I want it to be, yet.

As for "Contains SQL code". What are you talking about?

sodiums = dbh.select(:Chemicals, :Manufacturers) do |c,m|
(c.chemical_name =~ '%sodium%') && (c.manufacturer.name =~ '%flynn%')
end

chlorides = dbh.select(:Chemicals) {|c| c.chemical_name =~ '%chloride%'}

sodium_chlorides = sodiums & chlorides

sodium_chlorides.each {|x| x.chemical_name = x.chemical_name.upcase}

That hardly looks like SQL.


Kirk Haines

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JVC Camcorder Errors "REMOVE AND REATTACH BATTERY" or "UNIT IN SAFEGUARD MODE" or E04 Juan Carrera DVD Video 4 10-03-2012 07:53 PM
[EVALUATION] - E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF Ilias Lazaridis Python 104 01-13-2006 07:20 PM
[EVALUATION] - E04 - Mr. Yukihiro Matsumoto (Ruby's Weakest Point) Ilias Lazaridis Ruby 26 04-25-2005 11:11 AM
[EVALUATION] - E03 - jamLang Evaluation Case Applied to Python Ilias Lazaridis Python 2 04-24-2005 05:29 PM
[EVALUATION] - E03 - jamLang Evaluation Case Applied to Ruby Ilias Lazaridis Ruby 74 04-04-2005 05:29 PM



Advertisments