Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Rails problem - Trying code in "Rolling with Rails on Ruby" article

Rails problem - Trying code in "Rolling with Rails on Ruby" article

colotechpro@yahoo.com

I'm trying to get Rails up and running and following Curt Hibbs'
Rolling with Ruby on Rails - http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5546.

Part of the DOS window on Figure 7 of his documentation shows this:

=> Rails application started on http://127.0.0.1:3000

My DOS window displays:
=> Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000

This address doesn't come up in my browser.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

John Reed
Colotechpro at yahoo.com

Brandon Philips

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

John,

In the future your answers would best be answered by the RoR mailing
lists. http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails

Anyways, the new version of RoR binds to the address 0.0.0.0 which means
that it binds both to the internal and external interfaces.

Try hitting http://127.0.0.1:3000 with your web browser or even the
external IP/DNS name of your box on :3000.

Good Luck,

Brandon Philips

--
http://ifup.org

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz--

Bill Guindon

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:04:46 +0900, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm trying to get Rails up and running and following Curt Hibbs'
> Rolling with Ruby on Rails - http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5546.
>
> Part of the DOS window on Figure 7 of his documentation shows this:
>
> => Rails application started on http://127.0.0.1:3000
>
> My DOS window displays:
> => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
>
> This address doesn't come up in my browser.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for your help.

I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Aredridel

> > My DOS window displays:
> > => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
> >
> > This address doesn't come up in my browser.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

> I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
> 127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
> can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

The 0.0.0.0 means "any available IPs on this machine" -- so it binds to
127.0.0.1, and whatever other IPs you have up.

Odd, but that's how the BSD socket code started it.

Ari

Bill Guindon

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:26:14 +0900, Aredridel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > My DOS window displays:
> > > => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
> > >
> > > This address doesn't come up in my browser.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.

> > I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
> > 127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
> > can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

> The 0.0.0.0 means "any available IPs on this machine" -- so it binds to
> 127.0.0.1, and whatever other IPs you have up.
>
> Odd, but that's how the BSD socket code started it.

Well, that's one less item on the list of "things I do not know". Thx much.
'course, the list is still quite long...

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

colotechpro@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the help, guys. I should have made it clear that it
wouldn't come up under http://127.0.0.1:3000, but once I ran ipconfig
to get my IP address and used that instead of the one above, I got it
to work.

John

Michael Campbell

I'm curious as to WHY the loopback address doesn't work. What sort of
network config are you running?