Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Help a newbie pick a gui tool kit

Reply
Thread Tools

Help a newbie pick a gui tool kit

 
 
Dennis Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.

I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
GUI toolkit to make it better looking.

I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
know what I am talking about

What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.


Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.


> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>
> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> know what I am talking about
>
> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?


If you are on windows then a GUI toolkit named Fxruby should have been
distributed with the Ruby installer.

http://www.fxruby.org/

Documentation is relative good (better than other toolkits).

--
Simon Strandgaard


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Guindon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>
> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>
> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> know what I am talking about
>
> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?


These may help:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingGuiToolkits
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?Compa...olkits/TakeTwo
http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/w.../GUIComparison

I haven't used one yet, but based on what I read in the comparisons,
I'm leaning towards Wx.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Lyman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:56:57 +0900, Derek Wyatt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
> |>I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> |>GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
> |>
> |>I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> |>know what I am talking about
> |>
> |>What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
> |
> |
> | If you are on windows then a GUI toolkit named Fxruby should have been
> | distributed with the Ruby installer.
> |
> | http://www.fxruby.org/
> |
> | Documentation is relative good (better than other toolkits).
>
> I tried FXRuby as my first ruby GUI toolkit and immediately
> i hit problems. Just making a plain window wasn't working
> right. All of the bits you set to get borders, menus, etc
> weren't working.
>
> I would recommend starting with WX or GTK2. I haven't had
> much experience in these kits yet, but my experienc with
> FXRuby was horrid. I just wanted to find out how well the
> GUI part would work but haven't gotten heavily into it, so
> whatever experience you obtain, i would like to know how you
> made out.
>
> Regs,
> Derek


I'm not sure what exactly wasn't working for you - but my experience
with FXRuby was every bit as 'joyful' as my experience with Ruby.

The links to the comparisons that someone else gave you are a good
starting place. Asking people on this list what you should use will
result in what has resulted - everybody finds one that they like and
that fits their needs, and they recommend it. Nothin' wrong with that,
just don't expect to get a definitive answer from a bunch of personal
opinions.

-Rich


 
Reply With Quote
 
ES
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
On Sat, March 12, 2005 10:05 am, Simon Strandgaard said:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
>> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.

>
> Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
> and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.
>
>
>> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
>> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>>
>> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
>> know what I am talking about
>>
>> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?

>
> If you are on windows then a GUI toolkit named Fxruby should have been
> distributed with the Ruby installer.
>
> http://www.fxruby.org/
>
> Documentation is relative good (better than other toolkits).


This was a brief topic on #ruby-lang, too. My vote goes for FOX, as well,
although Wx has the advantage of using native widgets. FLTK looks promising
but may not be feature-rich enough as yet.

> Simon Strandgaard


E




 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
Thanks for everyones input. I will check out the links provided.


On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:27:29 -0800, Dennis Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>
> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>
> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> know what I am talking about
>
> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Schröder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:05:20 +0900, Simon Strandgaard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> > Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.

>
> Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
> and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.
>


To impress your wife if she is no programmer herself, best use Flash,
don't program a line but make the words "I love you" fly blinking
along the screen and form a heart afterwards. Sounds silly, is silly
but shurely works better than the nicest, most impressive and best
designed library/application ever written



Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Willis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:41:10 +0900, Brian Schröder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:05:20 +0900, Simon Strandgaard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> > > Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.

> >
> > Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
> > and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.
> >

>
> To impress your wife if she is no programmer herself, best use Flash,
> don't program a line but make the words "I love you" fly blinking
> along the screen and form a heart afterwards. Sounds silly, is silly
> but shurely works better than the nicest, most impressive and best
> designed library/application ever written
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Schröder
> http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/
>
>


In the case of mine, I'd have to program a first person shooter that
is as every bit as fun as Quake 3 Arena in ruby.

Needless to say I've given up.....




--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbackmusic.net



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
Well fltk looks the coolest. I love the examples. Unfortunatly it
hasn't been touched since 2002 and I can't even get it to compile


 
Reply With Quote
 
Douglas Livingstone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:01:31 +0900, Tom Willis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> In the case of mine, I'd have to program a first person shooter that
> is as every bit as fun as Quake 3 Arena in ruby.
>


Actually, how easy is OpenGL to use in ruby? I remember seeing some
examples a while back, but never took a close look at the code. A nice
API for making Ruby apps with an OpenGL UI would be cool

Douglas


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to pick quad core and when to pick dual core thingy NZ Computing 6 11-21-2006 07:08 AM
When to pick ASP.Net, when to pick desktop? tom c ASP .Net 5 11-01-2006 06:15 PM
need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites) Trevor Smithson Computer Information 1 05-27-2005 01:15 AM
need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites) Trevor Smithson Computer Support 5 05-25-2005 07:48 PM
Help a newbie pick a DVD player please. Joe_Gondola@no.spam DVD Video 49 11-07-2004 12:22 AM



Advertisments