Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Scratch 1.0

[ANN] Scratch 1.0

Scott Barron

--------------enigFCB5FFAF5822C0612DDC09CB

== What is Scratch?

Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
component of Rails.

From the web page:

Scratch is the minimalist's web log. Scratch gives you nothing more than
the meta-weblog API for posting. Reading is done via Atom or RSS. That's
it. There's no HTML to hack up. You don't have to use the same, tired
old web log template that everyone else is using. Break out of that
blue, rounded rectangle! Be original! Thumb your nose at those primitive
apes still using the web! Use Scratch! Scratch can also serve as a
framework for developing your own weblog package, if that's the way you
roll.

There are no categories, comments, tags, users, blah, blah, blah. None
of that bloat. Scratch is what it is and it ain't no more.

== Installation

% gem install Scratch
% scratch

From here you'll need something like MarsEdit or ecto to post and an
aggregator to read (Newsfire and NetNewsWire are good).

== More Information

More information can be found at the Scratch website:

http://scratch.rubyforge.org

The subversion repository lives at:

http://dev.elitists.textdriven.com/s.../Scratch/trunk

(you'll need to login with anonymous/anonymous until I get around to
turning that off, sorry).

Enjoy
-Scott

--------------enigFCB5FFAF5822C0612DDC09CB

--------------enigFCB5FFAF5822C0612DDC09CB--

Bil Kleb

Scott Barron wrote:

> % gem install Scratch

$ sudo gem install Scratch
[..]
Attempting remote installation of 'Scratch'
Install required dependency sqlite-ruby? [Yn]
Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
1. sqlite-ruby 2.2.3 (ruby)
2. sqlite-ruby 2.2.3 (mswin32)
[..]
13. Cancel installation
> 1

ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-ruby-2.2.3 for inspection.
ruby extconf.rb install Scratch\nchecking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... no

So I need the raw sqlite, but I already have sqlite3 installed
and the bindings,

sqlite3-ruby (1.1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.0)
SQLite3/Ruby is a module to allow Ruby scripts to interface with a
SQLite3 database.

Can't I use this instead of installing the older(?) sqlite?

Confused,
--
Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

leon breedt

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:59:43 +0900, Scott Barron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
> a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
> can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
> component of Rails.

Cool...

What I'd like to see is a full-featured tested-with-many-clients
metaWeblog implementation using AWS that can be re-used by Rails-based
blogging apps.

Bit of a pie-in-the-sky, perhaps, since everyone likes their designing
own model, but at least a common API definition for the methods in the
spec and the extensions used by MT would be a good start.

Leon

gabriele renzi

(note: answering here since I did not receive the original announcemente
message)

leon breedt ha scritto:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:59:43 +0900, Scott Barron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
>>a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
>>can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
>>component of Rails.

> Cool...
>
> What I'd like to see is a full-featured tested-with-many-clients
> metaWeblog implementation using AWS that can be re-used by Rails-based
> blogging apps.
> Bit of a pie-in-the-sky, perhaps, since everyone likes their designing
> own model, but at least a common API definition for the methods in the
> spec and the extensions used by MT would be a good start.
>
> Leon

what would be wonmderful, imho, would be something like a micro blogish
thing where you can plug modules to extend features. Say, allowing the
chance to plug in categories or tagging ot atom output or html output or
xmlrpc api or whatever.
Is this the hidden real nature of scratch ?
(since I have this floating idea of "build your blog from scratch".. )

zimba.tm@gmail.com

Hi Scott,

How can I have multiple instances of Scratch ? It seems like the gem is
dropping a rails app. Should I copy the sources to another path for
development ? Shouldn't it better be in a generator ?

Cheers,
zimba

Joel VanderWerf

Scott Barron wrote:
> == What is Scratch?
>
> Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
> a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
> can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
> component of Rails.

Great. Don't forget to list on RAA, so we can all find it later when we
forget about this email and are looking for rails examples or for
blogging software. (Also, there are only 5 Rails hits there, 3 of which
are rails itself. Kinda gives the wrong impression...)