Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Ruby Bindings for POI

[ANN] Ruby Bindings for POI

Avik Sengupta

POI (http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/) is a pure java library that reads
and writes OLE2 Compound Document Files; in particular, it excels at
processing MS Excel file formats.

I have just checked into the POI repository an initial attempt at
creating a Ruby wrapper for this library. This is done by compiling POI
with GCJ to create a native lib, and generating the Ruby wrappers with
SWIG.

Documentation is at: http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/poi-ruby.html

Note that this is at an initial stage, and further wrapping coverage is
coming soon... however I think it already has enough features to be
useful. See the testcases for examples of what you can do.

Hop on to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) if you want to help develop this
further.

Thoughts/feedback/brickbats gratefully accepted.

Regards
-
Avik Sengupta

Phil Tomson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Avik Sengupta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>POI (http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/) is a pure java library that reads
>and writes OLE2 Compound Document Files; in particular, it excels at
>processing MS Excel file formats.
>
>I have just checked into the POI repository an initial attempt at
>creating a Ruby wrapper for this library. This is done by compiling POI
>with GCJ to create a native lib, and generating the Ruby wrappers with
>SWIG.

That's interesting. This is the first I've heard of anyone wrapping a
Java library in this manner. An article describing how you did this would
be very nice - and you could probably get it published somewhere.

Phil

Avik Sengupta

>This is the first I've heard of anyone wrapping a Java library in
this manner.

Sorry, cant take credit .

See http://pylucene.osafoundation.org ... its python, rather than ruby,
but similar process (gcj/swig)... which is where I got the inspiration.

But yes, an article would be nice, thanks. Pylucene doesnt have the
best of documentation.

Using Java POI in ruby? Captain R Ruby 0 03-08-2007 12:59 AM
Jakarta POI API and OpenOffice atransiciel Java 0 08-03-2004 08:06 AM
Jakarta POI HSSF Joe C Java 2 07-26-2004 11:03 PM
Installing POI Libra Blue Java 4 04-15-2004 08:18 AM
problem with poi, XML and sorting excel file [XaToA] Java 0 07-29-2003 12:39 PM

Advertisments