Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Corporate RubyGems Repository

Corporate RubyGems Repository

Roustem Karimov

I am working on a few in-house ruby projects. We have different
environments and rubygems looks like a great way to install and manage
ruby apps across multiple servers.

I configured internal gems repository and setup rake to publish the
apps. Everything is perfect except one small thing. Gem tool expects to
have "/yaml.Z" or "/yaml" file in the repository with all gemspecs in
it. I create it manually for now...

Is there a code to generate yaml file out of all gems in the
repository?

- Roustem

jim@freeze.org

* Roustem Karimov <(E-Mail Removed)> [2005-02-16 01:54:52 +0900]:

> I am working on a few in-house ruby projects. We have different
> environments and rubygems looks like a great way to install and manage
> ruby apps across multiple servers.

Hmm, interesting.

> I configured internal gems repository and setup rake to publish the
> apps. Everything is perfect except one small thing. Gem tool expects to
> have "/yaml.Z" or "/yaml" file in the repository with all gemspecs in
> it. I create it manually for now...

Can you give some more detail.
Is each computer required to do a 'gem install'?
If so, (assuming all the computers can see a local gem repository)
why didn't you just install the apps into this directory?
Is it because of the different environments? If so, what
was the specific hindrance, if you don't mind.

--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

Roustem Karimov

> Is each computer required to do a 'gem install'? If so, (assuming
> all the computers can see a local gem repository) why didn't you
> just install the apps into this directory?

Yes. It is very convenient. We installed rubygems on all servers and
created .gemrc file with

gem: --source http://buildbox/

Now, the only thing administrator does to redeploy the application is
type "gem install appXYZ". He doesn't have to worry about location or
version number.

Using a common directory has some issues, e.g. firewalls between
servers, etc. Using HTTP-based repository is so much easier. Besides,
we do the same thing for Java apps as well.

jim@freeze.org

* Roustem Karimov <(E-Mail Removed)> [2005-02-16 03:49:52 +0900]:

> > Is each computer required to do a 'gem install'? If so, (assuming
> > all the computers can see a local gem repository) why didn't you
> > just install the apps into this directory?

> Yes. It is very convenient. We installed rubygems on all servers and
> created .gemrc file with
>
> gem: --source http://buildbox/
>
> Now, the only thing administrator does to redeploy the application is
> type "gem install appXYZ". He doesn't have to worry about location or
> version number.
>
> Using a common directory has some issues, e.g. firewalls between
> servers, etc. Using HTTP-based repository is so much easier. Besides,
> we do the same thing for Java apps as well.

This is nice.
I am curious. Why did you not use RPA?
Do you have a way to do a complete build from scratch?

--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

Roustem Karimov

> I am curious. Why did you not use RPA?

I didn't know about RPA. RubyGems had better marketing, I guess...

> Do you have a way to do a complete build from scratch?

Rake builds, tests, and copies the gem to repository in one command.

Chad Fowler

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:54:52 +0900, Roustem Karimov
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am working on a few in-house ruby projects. We have different
> environments and rubygems looks like a great way to install and manage
> ruby apps across multiple servers.
>
> I configured internal gems repository and setup rake to publish the
> apps. Everything is perfect except one small thing. Gem tool expects to
> have "/yaml.Z" or "/yaml" file in the repository with all gemspecs in
> it. I create it manually for now...

Very cool! David Heinemeir Hansson is also doing this for the beta
gems of Rails. For a simple solution, you can also use the gem_server
that comes with RubyGems, but it requires you to leave a webrick
process running.

> Is there a code to generate yaml file out of all gems in the
> repository?

Rich created this for RubyForge. I think it will do what you want:

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs...viewcvs-markup

--

Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com

Roustem Karimov

Chad Fowler wrote:

> Rich created this for RubyForge. I think it will do what you want:
>http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs...viewcvs-markup

Works out of the box! Thanks!