Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > iconv.so is not installed with the mswin version of ruby?

iconv.so is not installed with the mswin version of ruby?

robert.wilder

Hello,

I have used the latest one-click installer version for windows (ruby
1.8.2-14) and I'm having problems with REXML and the Iconv library.
I've noticed that there is already a bug report filed for this issue
(#1414). Does anyone have an idea when this will be fixed? Are there
any known workarounds?

For those of you unfamiliar with this issue, I am using rexml to read
in some xml files encoded in Shift_JIS. My script is dying only for xml
input files encoded in Shift_JIS. For English, French, and German which
are encoded in ISO-8859-1 everything works fine.

When parsing the Japanese I get

"uconv or iconv is required for Japanese encoding support"

Simply requiring this library isnt sufficient. As the bug report
indicates, the iconv.so (and possibly some other important files) are
missing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-Rob

Assaph Mehr

robert.wilder wrote:
> Simply requiring this library isnt sufficient. As the bug report
> indicates, the iconv.so (and possibly some other important files) are
> missing.

Here's a workaround.
You will need iconv.so which you can get from:
http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/bi...86-mswin32.zip

open the zip and extract iconv.so from -
lib\ruby\1.8\i386-mswin32\
to the corresponding directory of your ruby install.

You will also need the iconv.dll which you can download from:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?iconv

HTH,
Assaph

robert.wilder

Thanks Assaph! Everything seems to work beautifully now!

-Rob