Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [Rails] Installation trouble

[Rails] Installation trouble

Ghislain MARY

Hi all,

I am new to ruby and trying to install rails but I encounter some
difficulties. I get an error while installing actionmailer. Here is what I
get:

$ gem install actionmailer
Attempting local installation of 'actionmailer'
Local gem file not found: actionmailer*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'actionmailer'
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in `require': No
such file to load -- action_controller (LoadError)
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:163:in `activate'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:34:in `require_gem'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:450:in
`find_dependencies_not_installed'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:448:in
`each'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:448:in
`find_dependencies_not_installed'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:364:in
`install'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:164:in
`execute'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:129:in
`each'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:129:in
`execute'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/command.rb:49:in `invoke'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/cmd_manager.rb:90:in
`process_args'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/cmd_manager.rb:63:in `run'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:9:in `run'
from /usr/bin/gem:11

knowing that:

$ gem query --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionpack (1.3.1)
Web-flow and rendering framework putting the VC in MVC.

activerecord (1.5.1)
Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

rake (0.4.15)
Ruby based make-like utility.

sources (0.0.1)
This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks,

Ghislain

Trevor Wennblom

Ghislain MARY wrote:

>$ gem install actionmailer
>Attempting local installation of 'actionmailer'
>Local gem file not found: actionmailer*.gem
>Attempting remote installation of 'actionmailer'
>/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in `require': No
>such file to load -- action_controller (LoadError)

The 'action_controller' section suggests that it may have something to
do with the install of one of the Rails dependencies. Instead of doing
the components separately, try executing 'gem install rails' and answer
'y'es to the dependencies.

Ghislain MARY

Le Vendredi 21 Janvier 2005 21:24, Trevor Wennblom a √©crit¬*:
> Ghislain MARY wrote:
> >$ gem install actionmailer
> >Attempting local installation of 'actionmailer'
> >Local gem file not found: actionmailer*.gem
> >Attempting remote installation of 'actionmailer'
> >/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in `require':
> > No such file to load -- action_controller (LoadError)

> The 'action_controller' section suggests that it may have something to
> do with the install of one of the Rails dependencies. Instead of doing
> the components separately, try executing 'gem install rails' and answer
> 'y'es to the dependencies.

In fact, I was trying to install each dependency manually because I was
getting this when installing rails:

$ gem install rails
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
undefined method `perform_action' for class `ActionController::Base'

Dick Davies

* Ghislain MARY <(E-Mail Removed)> [0112 20:12]:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ruby and trying to install rails but I encounter some
> difficulties. I get an error while installing actionmailer. Here is what I
> get:

What version of rubygems and ruby ? I had some wierd errors with cvs ruby
around rubygems 0.8.2 or so, but can't find them now - it looked vaguely
similar..

--
'The pie is ready. You guys like swarms of things, right?'
-- Bender

Trevor Wennblom

Ghislain MARY wrote:

>In fact, I was trying to install each dependency manually because I was
>getting this when installing rails:
>

>$ gem install rails
>Attempting local installation of 'rails'
>Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
>Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
>ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
> undefined method `perform_action' for class `ActionController::Base'

That's very strange. Does running 'gem -v' report '0.8.4'? If not, you
could try updating your gem install. Otherwise, I'd post on the Rails
mailing list.

Ghislain MARY

I've found what the problem was.

In fact, this was coming from the way ruby is packaged in Debian. I've already
seen about this on this mailing list and during my search for a solution on
the web, but never found exactly the same problem as I had.

However, I still don't know exactly what was missing. I managed to put Ruby on
Rails by doing a "manual" installation of ruby. I'll try to find what was the
missing Debian package and I'll tell you all here to help people who might
encounter the same problem later.

But the real solution to the problem would be for the ruby package in Debian
to contain all that is contained in the ruby source distribution...

See you all later

Ghislain

Ghislain MARY

The missing package was libdrb-ruby.

Can't understand why these packages are not installed when installing ruby...

Adelle Hartley

Hi,

> The missing package was libdrb-ruby.
>
> Can't understand why these packages are not installed when
> installing ruby...

You might want to mention this on debian-ruby. A similar matter was raised
recently with regard to ruby-stdlib.

Adelle.

Eric Schwartz

Ghislain MARY <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The missing package was libdrb-ruby.
>
> Can't understand why these packages are not installed when installing ruby...

Debian, and most distros derived from it, try to factor out
dependencies as much as humanly possible. It's not a matter of being
arrogant and thinking, "We know better than you how to distribute
ruby", it's a matter of allowing someone who doesn't care about ruby
to install the very minimum required to run a program that itself
requires ruby.

Even with the advent of broadband, this is still very important, as a
number (probably a majority) of users are still in countries where the
default is metered connections, and every extra byte costs them money.
Also, such fine (and orthogonal) dependencies allow people to create
custom LiveCDs and/or distributions that contain only what they need
(yes, a number of people use Debian as a base for embedded Linux
programming for that very reason).

However, feel free to ask the ruby maintainer to change his packaging;
he may agree with you.

-=Eric
-- Blair Houghton.

Eric Schwartz

Ghislain MARY <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The missing package was libdrb-ruby.

A full list of required ruby packages for manually installing
rubygems:

ruby
libruby
libdrb-ruby
libyaml-ruby
libzlib-ruby

I'm not positive about libruby, actually.

Even if these should be included by default, about which point I am
entirely agnostic, it seems to me that it's a bug in rubygems for not
correctly reporting the error, so that the user can know which
packages to install. Having to guess is very frustrating

-=Eric
-- Blair Houghton.