Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Why doesn't ri look into ancestor classes to find help?

Why doesn't ri look into ancestor classes to find help?

Ilmari Heikkinen

Hello,

This has flummoxed me quite a bit in using ri for finding method docs.
Why doesn't this work?

ri Hash#map

(ruby 1.8.2, ruby 1.9.0 (2005-01-09))

RDoc should have all the required info it needs to walk up the
ancestors, since it knows the superclass of the class, and the modules
mixed in. So when there isn't a hit, it should go up in the hierarchy
instead of saying "Nothing known about Hash#map" and giving up.

A little persistence, that is all I ask.

--
Ilmari Heikkinen