Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Webrick and Basic Auth

Webrick and Basic Auth

jim@freeze.org

Hi

I have a directory of files that I want to share over the net
with Webrick. Basically, I have something simple now where
Webrick mounts the directory and serves up the files. Neat
and simple.

However, I have another set of files that I want to share,
but I want to have only authorized people access them.

Is there a simple way (say by adding htaccess to a directory(s))
to add authentication to a webrick mounted directory?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks
--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

Sarah Tanembaum

> Hi
>
> I have a directory of files that I want to share over the net
> with Webrick. Basically, I have something simple now where
> Webrick mounts the directory and serves up the files. Neat
> and simple.
>
> However, I have another set of files that I want to share,
> but I want to have only authorized people access them.
>
> Is there a simple way (say by adding htaccess to a directory(s))
> to add authentication to a webrick mounted directory?
>
> Sorry if this is a dumb question.
>
> Thanks

Is Webrick secure? What's precautions and gotchas should we put our
attention too? Also, how the performance?

Bill Atkins

Well, that won't do the OP any good if he isn't using Rails.

There's a sample of Webrick authentication at
http://thekode.net/misc/httpd-auth.txt

Bill

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|

Peter Retief