Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Kernel.y and yes,yes,yes not least surprise

Kernel.y and yes,yes,yes not least surprise

Jamie Herre

Sometimes using emacs makes me think of Molly Bloom (never a good idea
at work) and then I just answer yes even before the question is asked.
Today this resulted in a confusing bug.

h.each{ |k,v|y

did not produce an error but rather caused my script to output a bunch
of "---"'s.

I propose that Kernel.y should demand at least one argument

def y(o,*x)
puts( if x.empty?
YAML::dump( o )
else
YAML::dump_stream( o, *x )
end
)
end

_why what do you think?

maybe the convention that all one letter methods demand arguments might
even be considered for inclusion in the ruby style guide.

why the lucky stiff

Jamie Herre ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

> I propose that Kernel.y should demand at least one argument

Yeah, whoa, I just committed. Thanky.

_why