Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

[ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

henon (meinrad recheis)

foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.

Check out the Project Wiki for details and documentation.

http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?

or the project site at rubyforge

http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/fox-tool

I have been using foxGUIb myself for a about a year at work before I
prepared it for release to the public. I consider it especially useful
because you can tweak your fxruby user interfaces interactively and that
preserves a lot of time, fox-api reading and finger typing.

-henon

Luis G. Gómez

I get:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from ./__FX__.rb:1
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require__'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from foxGUIb.rbw:12

When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw

Any sugestions?

henon (meinrad recheis) wrote:
> foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
> It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
> also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
> and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.
>
> Check out the Project Wiki for details and documentation.
>
> http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?
>
> or the project site at rubyforge
>
> http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/fox-tool
>
> I have been using foxGUIb myself for a about a year at work before I
> prepared it for release to the public. I consider it especially useful
> because you can tweak your fxruby user interfaces interactively and that
> preserves a lot of time, fox-api reading and finger typing.
>
> -henon

henon (meinrad recheis)

Luis G. Gómez wrote:
> I get:
>
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> `require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
> from ./__FX__.rb:1
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> `require__'
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
> from foxGUIb.rbw:12
>
> When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw
>
> Any sugestions?

your failure messages look very strange to me, however:

> `require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)

obviously ruby doesn't find FXRuby. it might not be installed on your
system. would it be installed ruby's require should find "fox"

hth,
- henon

Kaspar Schiess

Hello,

> Any sugestions?

Have you installed the Fox GUI library successfully ? Did you try running a
few examples ? What operating system are you running this on ? What Ruby
version ?

In particular, if you type
require 'fox'
in irb, do you get a 'true' back ?

I think this will help us answering your question.

kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Richard Lyman

Do you have any screenshots?

Matthew Margolis

I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
error in regards to
require 'FX'

I have looked over the FXRuby site and the Fox site to figure out what
FX is part of but I am having no luck. Anyone care to help out a gui noob?

Thank you,
Matt Margolis

henon (meinrad recheis)

Matthew Margolis wrote:
> I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
> error in regards to
> require 'FX'

you find "FX.rb" in the directory foxGUIb/FX/fxrelease. This is my
fault. i should have mentioned in the readme. However it is mentioned in
the UsersGuide on the Project-Wiki.
regards,
- henon

henon (meinrad recheis)

The wiki is probably the best place for feedback.
I would appreciate your feedback most!

http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?

regards,
- henon

Bill Atkins

Very well done. The UI is well-designed, the code generator works.
Good deal. It would be neat if userscould run the generated code from
within foxGUib.

Bill

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|

Curt Hibbs

If you have FXRuby 1.0.29 or earlier, you do a require "fox". If you have
FXRuby 1.2.2, you must do a require "fox12". Perhaps this is the problem.

Curt