Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Web programming, need really good reference.

Reply
Thread Tools

Web programming, need really good reference.

 
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2004
I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
more efficient.

But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
environment.

References to books, web sites etc would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I have the standard references listed on the ruby home page but at
most web programming is given a quick chapter overview.

I am running XP/Mysql/Xitami/php/ruby.

Why doesn't Xitami get more play/mention, it's really easy to set up
and use.

Thanks in advance

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sascha Ebach
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2004
Hi Bob,

I don't know anything about Xitami, but so I guess you don't know
anything about Lighttpd (http://www.lighttpd.org)?

You sound like a perfect candidate for trying out rails. The one stop
shop for developing web apps. It is not the only framework out there,
but certainly the easiest to get into right now.

http://www.rubyonrails.org

Rails runs perfectly with Lighttpd. And there will be books about it in
the near future.

Also check out the huge community in #rubyonrails on freenode. It's all
on the homepage ...

You also might want to look at other fine frameworks. Just to name a few:

Cerise, Nitro, Wee, Arrow, Borges, CGIKit, IOWA, ...

I don't have all the URLs for these, but having the name, you should be
able to google them really quick.

Have fun
--
Sascha Ebach


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
James Britt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2004
Bob wrote:
> I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
> stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
> convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
> more efficient.
>
> But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
> environment.


How might you describe "definitive reference" and "web based environment"?


For myself, some of the things I would hope to find in such a beast
would be:

Detailed explanation of the differences among mod_ruby, cgi, and fast cgi
Platform issues (Win32 , Mac, Unixen, etc.)
Speed
Security


Discussion of templating tools
What comes with the standard Ruby distro
What other are libraries available
Comparison on speed, ease of use, maturity, dependencies on other
libs or native code

Discussion of Database tools and libraries
O/R mappers
OS issues
Speed, maturity

Description of XML-related libraries and frameworks, including
robustness, maturity, and adherence to specs and recommendations
SOAP
XML-RPC
RSS
XSLT
WSDL

Discussion of deployment and testing


I don't think is there is any single source for this information, but it
may help to know what specifically you need.


James


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bil Kleb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2004
Sascha Ebach wrote:
>
> Also check out the huge community in #rubyonrails on freenode.


And go through the todo tutorial on http://rails.hieraki.org/

Regards,
--
Bil
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2004
In a word, yes.

Actually your definitive is a more definitive than mine.

Web based environment -> Using the web browser as the primary
input/output means.

Definitive -> Greater than the one chapter overview that I have been
able to find and less than what you consider definitive. I would want
actual examples of interfacing with mysql using the webbrowser (web
forms) and page generation. Included would be examples of sessions and
cookies. The stuff you mentioned would be good as I work my way in to
it, but for now I am not there.

I am going to read the rubyonrails tutorial, it looks interesting.

But other references would be appreciated.

thanks
bobc


James Britt wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this

early
> > stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
> > convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
> > more efficient.
> >
> > But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web

based
> > environment.

>
> How might you describe "definitive reference" and "web based

environment"?
>
>
> For myself, some of the things I would hope to find in such a beast
> would be:
>
> Detailed explanation of the differences among mod_ruby, cgi, and fast

cgi
> Platform issues (Win32 , Mac, Unixen, etc.)
> Speed
> Security
>
>
> Discussion of templating tools
> What comes with the standard Ruby distro
> What other are libraries available
> Comparison on speed, ease of use, maturity, dependencies on other
> libs or native code
>
> Discussion of Database tools and libraries
> O/R mappers
> OS issues
> Speed, maturity
>
> Description of XML-related libraries and frameworks, including
> robustness, maturity, and adherence to specs and recommendations
> SOAP
> XML-RPC
> RSS
> XSLT
> WSDL
>
> Discussion of deployment and testing
>
>
> I don't think is there is any single source for this information, but

it
> may help to know what specifically you need.
>
>
> James


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Klemme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2004

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
> stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
> convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
> more efficient.
>
> But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
> environment.
>
> References to books, web sites etc would be greatly appreciated.


Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of one
aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be applied
to other languages and frameworks, too:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/

Kind regards

robert



 
Reply With Quote
 
James Britt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2004
Robert Klemme wrote:
>
>
> Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of one
> aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
> it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be applied
> to other languages and frameworks, too:
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/



Some alternate takes on MVC

http://wardley.org/computers/web/mvc.html
http://www.dehora.net/journal/2004/0...framework.html
http://www.nooranch.com/synaesmedia/...ViewController


James


 
Reply With Quote
 
George Moschovitis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2004
> But other references would be appreciated.

Check out Nitro: http://www.rubyforge.com/projects/nitro.
Not much documentation yet, but we are working on it.

George

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Klemme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2004

"James Britt" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Klemme wrote:
> >
> >
> > Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of

one
> > aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
> > it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be

applied
> > to other languages and frameworks, too:
> >
> > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/

>
>
> Some alternate takes on MVC
>
> http://wardley.org/computers/web/mvc.html
> http://www.dehora.net/journal/2004/0...framework.html
> http://www.nooranch.com/synaesmedia/...ViewController


Just one remark to prevent misunderstandings: I don't advocate Struts; in
fact I rather suggest *not* to use it. I just think that the suggested
article describes aspects of how to do reasonable separation of business
logic and web application logic quite well.

Kind regards

robert

 
Reply With Quote
 
James Britt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2004
Robert Klemme wrote:
> Just one remark to prevent misunderstandings: I don't advocate Struts; in
> fact I rather suggest *not* to use it. I just think that the suggested
> article describes aspects of how to do reasonable separation of business
> logic and web application logic quite well.


It's interesting the number of articles that may do a very good job of
explaining the issues surrounding some aspect of development, while
advocating precisely the wrong way to approach them.

I'm not saying that any of the items linked here do that, though they
might, but it's something to ponder when poking through the myriad Web
development resources.




Thanks,


James


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maybe C is the perfect language for really good systems programmers, but unfortunately not-so-good systems and applications programmers are using it and they shouldnít be. Casey Hawthorne C Programming 18 11-06-2009 05:05 AM
I really need help with this so if anyone can help me out that wouldbe really great of you. adityagaddam90@gmail.com Java 30 02-10-2008 11:29 PM
do we really-really need Photoshop Elements? Giovanni Azua Digital Photography 6 05-18-2005 04:22 PM
Really Good Resource for Web Authoring Liam HTML 1 12-14-2004 04:12 PM
REALLY REALLY WERID PROBLEM!!!!pls take a look Amir ASP .Net 3 01-23-2004 06:01 PM



Advertisments