Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > iconv replacement for windows?

iconv replacement for windows?

Thomas Leitner

Hi,

I'm using the iconv library form the Ruby Standard Library under Linux
and it works quite well, but the iconv library is not available under
Windows (using the One-Click-Installer). Is there anything equivalent to
iconv in Ruby for Windows?

Thx,
Thomas

Austin Ziegler

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:17:30 +0900, Thomas Leitner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm using the iconv library form the Ruby Standard Library under Linux
> and it works quite well, but the iconv library is not available under
> Windows (using the One-Click-Installer). Is there anything equivalent to
> iconv in Ruby for Windows?

My recommendation is to request that iconv be included with the
One-Click-Installer.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
* Alternate: (E-Mail Removed)

Thomas Leitner

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:45:11 +0900
Austin Ziegler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:17:30 +0900, Thomas Leitner <(E-Mail Removed)>
| wrote:
| > I'm using the iconv library form the Ruby Standard Library under
| > Linux and it works quite well, but the iconv library is not
| > available under Windows (using the One-Click-Installer). Is there
| > anything equivalent to iconv in Ruby for Windows?
|
| My recommendation is to request that iconv be included with the
| One-Click-Installer.

I have looked at the feature request page of the One-Click-Installer
project and there is already a feature request for iconv. Thanks for
pointing me to that!

Thomas

--
|\ Thomas Leitner -- thomas [underscore] leitner [at] gmx [dot] at

|/ "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Curt Hibbs

Thomas Leitner wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:45:11 +0900
> Austin Ziegler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> | On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:17:30 +0900, Thomas Leitner <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | wrote:
> | > I'm using the iconv library form the Ruby Standard Library under
> | > Linux and it works quite well, but the iconv library is not
> | > available under Windows (using the One-Click-Installer). Is there
> | > anything equivalent to iconv in Ruby for Windows?
> |
> | My recommendation is to request that iconv be included with the
> | One-Click-Installer.
> |

> I have looked at the feature request page of the One-Click-Installer
> project and there is already a feature request for iconv. Thanks for
> pointing me to that!

If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.

Curt

gabriele renzi

Curt Hibbs ha scritto:

> If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
> become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
> RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.
>
> Curt

yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
(it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)

Austin Ziegler

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:24 +0900, gabriele renzi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
> > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
> > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
> > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.

> yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
> (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
> the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)

Right. If it's provided with standard Ruby (e.g., OpenSSL, iconv, a
few other things), then the 1-click installer should include them.

I personally don't like the idea of forcing users to use RubyGems for
a lot of things that are currently in the installer.

-austin
--

gabriele renzi wrote:

> Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
>

> > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
> > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
> > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.
> >
> > Curt

> yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
> (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
> the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)

<embarrassed> That'll teach me to dash off a quick reply before heading out
to a meeting!

My intention was to use this as an encouragement to use RubyGems, but I sure
did pick the wrong thing!

Curt

Stu

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:22:38 +0900, Austin Ziegler
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:24 +0900, gabriele renzi
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
>> > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
>> > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
>> > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.

>> yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
>> (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
>> the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)

>Right. If it's provided with standard Ruby (e.g., OpenSSL, iconv, a
>few other things), then the 1-click installer should include them.
>
>I personally don't like the idea of forcing users to use RubyGems for
>a lot of things that are currently in the installer.

personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.

i have iconv with my win32 GTK install (gaim),
i have iconv with my apache2 install
i have iconv with my php install
i have iconv with cygwin
i have iconv with DevCPP
i have iconv with subversion
i also have some inconv dlls in my windows\system32 which I dont
know what app owns.

i dont mind having the world + kitchen sink in the 1click installer
as long as I can checkbox it out and not break anything if I have
iconv installed by something else already.

where is the line? if we add openssl are we going to add mysql just
for kicks? or postgresql? how about a c compiler since some extensions
require compilation??

-- Stu --
[FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2

Austin Ziegler

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 05:12:34 +0900, Stu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:22:38 +0900, Austin Ziegler
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:24 +0900, gabriele renzi
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard
>>> ruby (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it
>>> provided with the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the
>>> proper iconv utility)

>> Right. If it's provided with standard Ruby (e.g., OpenSSL, iconv,
>> a few other things), then the 1-click installer should include
>> them.
>>
>> I personally don't like the idea of forcing users to use RubyGems
>> for a lot of things that are currently in the installer.

> personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.

For extra/external libraries, I can agree with you. Thus, iconv.dll
should only be installed when it is selected (which it should be, by
default). However, iconv.so -- the Ruby interface to iconv -- must
be installed regardless. Maybe the installer can check to see if it
can load iconv.dll from the PATH before it selects the iconv.dll
installation by default.

MySQL and PostgresQL (the databases, not the bindings) would not be
included because they are clearly separate libraries that a user
must want to use. Iconv and OpenSSL are *assumed* by Ruby to be part
of a working operating system.

At a minimum, the Ruby bindings must be included. If there are
redistributables (e.g., openssl.dll, iconv.dll) that would be
beneficial, they should be included but made optional for
installation.

The point is to have a complete installer for people who would run
our applications, not just programmers. If not, then we tell people
on Windows to download and install fifteen things *before they can
even RUN Ruby*.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * (E-Mail Removed)
* Alternate: (E-Mail Removed)

Carlos

[Stu <(E-Mail Removed)>, 2004-12-11 21.12 CET]
> personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.
>
> i have iconv with my win32 GTK install (gaim),
> i have iconv with my apache2 install
> i have iconv with my php install
> i have iconv with cygwin
> i have iconv with DevCPP
> i have iconv with subversion
> i also have some inconv dlls in my windows\system32 which I dont
> know what app owns.

Hopefully you'll be able to configure all of these to use ruby's iconv and
stop the duplication.

> i dont mind having the world + kitchen sink in the 1click installer
> as long as I can checkbox it out and not break anything if I have
> iconv installed by something else already.

That's a good idea.

> where is the line? if we add openssl are we going to add mysql just
> for kicks? or postgresql? how about a c compiler since some extensions
> require compilation??

The extensions in ruby's ext directory. And they should come precompiled.

iconv "\n" (Iconv::InvalidCharacter) Krzysztof Cierpisz Ruby 0 09-08-2009 12:11 PM
Run time error on AIX: "Symbol iconv was referenced" kp C Programming 5 03-13-2008 03:38 PM
about iconv yong C Programming 1 03-13-2006 01:54 PM
How to fix the bug about iconv for python? Strong IsOnlyWord Python 1 12-26-2005 06:00 AM
Iconv.iconv and Windows XP Tim Ferrell Ruby 4 10-04-2005 10:20 AM

Advertisments