Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby/DL tutorial

Ruby/DL tutorial

WayneFChin@gmail.com

Yes. Pretty, please!

Martin DeMello

Benjamin Peterson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
> the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

Yes!!!

martin

Benjamin Peterson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Benjamin Peterson) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi,
>
> Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
> the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?
>
> Benjamin

Hi,

Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
and they both choked on it completely.

Benjamin

Byron Clark

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 01:52:56AM +0900, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Benjamin Peterson) wrote in message news:<986d2608.04112=

(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
> > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

>=20
> Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
> converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
> do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
> and they both choked on it completely.
>=20

It looks like google does a pretty good conversion to html for that doc.
Sorry about the long link.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=3Dcac...ruby/ruby-dl-=
doc-ja/rbdl.pdf+&hl=3Den

--=20
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Byron Clark | http://www.byronandannie.net
(E-Mail Removed) |=20
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint: 0365 6979 6C3E BC0C 56C0 FB7F 12B3 75DD 042B EA68

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--

Benjamin Peterson

Byron Clark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 01:52:56AM +0900, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Benjamin Peterson) wrote in message news:<986d2608.04112

> (E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
> > > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

> > Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
> > converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
> > do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
> > and they both choked on it completely.
> >

> It looks like google does a pretty good conversion to html for that doc.
> Sorry about the long link.
>
> http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache.../ruby/ruby-dl-
> doc-ja/rbdl.pdf+&hl=en

Wow, that's rather impressive... well done google. Trouble is, every
single line is in a seperate div tag with absolute positioning, which
makes it look just like the pdf, but when it gets translated every
line will have to be fixed to be the right length -- a task far bigger
than the translation. I think I'll just adopt the following
methodology:

1 -- Cut and paste into vim.
2 -- Apply basic h1 and h2 tags in about the right place.
3 -- Indent the code samples with a little sprinkle o' vim magic.
4 -- Translate it.
5 -- (optional) Go on a mystic quest to discover why anyone creates a
document and then pdf encrypts it in the first place.

So, I'll probably do that for Monday.

Benjamin