Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Freaked out man!

Freaked out man!

Asfand Yar Qazi

Hi,

Its odd - if I place a comment at the end of a program I'm writing,
its ok. If I take out the comment, the program crashes?!

Any ideas why?

p.s. Its a game with lots of system access going on.

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/

Asfand Yar Qazi

Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Its odd - if I place a comment at the end of a program I'm writing, its
> ok. If I take out the comment, the program crashes?!
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> p.s. Its a game with lots of system access going on.

Basically, I'm doing something like this:

Game::new(:userdir => ".game_0.1",
:datadir => "data") do |game|
game.state_machine.add("1", DefaultState.new)
game.state_machine.add("2", AnotherState.new)
end

<crash at this point>

After executing the block, the game's initialise method goes straight
into the game loop. On exiting the loop (when the game quits)
deinitialisation is performed.

A crash occurs at the shown point.

But if I change the top line to:

g = Game::new(:userdir => ".game_0.1",
:datadir => "data") do |game|

Then its OK.

What's going on? Any ideas?

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/

Nikolai Weibull

* Asfand Yar Qazi <(E-Mail Removed)> [Nov 11, 2004 11:10]:
> Its odd - if I place a comment at the end of a program I'm writing,
> its ok. If I take out the comment, the program crashes?!

> Any ideas why?

Wow! Thanks for the lengthy description of the problem. We've got 10
people working 24/7 on this one.
nikolai

--
::: name: Nikolai Weibull :: aliases: pcp / lone-star / aka :::
::: born: Chicago, IL USA :: loc atm: Gothenburg, Sweden :::

Carlos

[Asfand Yar Qazi <(E-Mail Removed)>, 2004-11-11 10.38 CET]
> Hi,
>
> Its odd - if I place a comment at the end of a program I'm writing,
> its ok. If I take out the comment, the program crashes?!
>
> Any ideas why?

Maybe you recompiled ruby but forgot to recompile the extensions (?).

Brian Schröder

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:38:29 +0900
Asfand Yar Qazi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Its odd - if I place a comment at the end of a program I'm writing,
> its ok. If I take out the comment, the program crashes?!
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> p.s. Its a game with lots of system access going on.
>
> --
> http://www.it-is-truth.org/

Please try to cut down your program to a minimal example, and post the minimal example here.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://www.brian-schroeder.de/

Asfand Yar Qazi

Brian Schröder wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:38:29 +0900
> Asfand Yar Qazi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Its odd - if I place a comment at the end of a program I'm writing,
>>its ok. If I take out the comment, the program crashes?!
>>
>>Any ideas why?
>>
>>p.s. Its a game with lots of system access going on.
>>
>>--
>>http://www.it-is-truth.org/
>>

> Please try to cut down your program to a minimal example, and post the minimal example here.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian

Just to let you know, I cancelled this post after posting - obviously
it didn't get cancelled. That's the thing about usenet. Sorry about
that.

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/

router freaked out zvnteq7 Computer Support 38 01-03-2009 01:29 PM
"I'm just a little bit freaked out" kombi45@yahoo.com Digital Photography 5 06-28-2005 01:13 PM
PIX 515 Can Ping Out-to-In but not any webservices getting out-to-in Johnny Davis Cisco 6 01-19-2004 05:33 PM
Get "Freaked" on DVD! RR DVD Video 1 01-07-2004 05:48 PM
IGMP? Please help im freaked! darko Computer Security 5 09-08-2003 03:59 AM

Advertisments