Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > rails: gem install rails is bombing

rails: gem install rails is bombing

J. D.

Hi,

I'm running into a problem installing rails using gem. How do I fix this?

debian:/usr/local/src# ruby --version
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-08-24) [i386-linux]

debian:/usr/local/src# gem install rails
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Successfully installed rails, version 0.8.0
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__': No such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc (LoadError)
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/doc_manager.rb:42:in
`generate_rdoc'
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:167:in `execute'
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:166:in `each'
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:166:in `execute'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/command.rb:49:in
`invoke'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/cmd_manager.rb:90:in
`process_args'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/cmd_manager.rb:63:in
`run'
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:9:in `run'
from /usr/bin/gem:11

David Heinemeier Hansson

> I'm running into a problem installing rails using gem. How do I fix
> this?

You don't have RDoc installed. Debian has chopped off Ruby into tiny
packages. Have a look at http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/RailsOnDebian
for help.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basecamphq.com/ -- Web-based Project Management

Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:

>> I'm running into a problem installing rails using gem. How do I fix
>> this?

> You don't have RDoc installed. Debian has chopped off Ruby into tiny
> packages. Have a look at http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/RailsOnDebian for
> help.

i'm thinking of switching to debian but am kind of a tar.gz kind of package
guy and don't like the sound of that at all... can any of you ruby/debian
people give any information on debian as a ruby development platform?

cheers.

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
| bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki

Jamis Buck

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
>
>>> I'm running into a problem installing rails using gem. How do I fix
>>> this?

>> You don't have RDoc installed. Debian has chopped off Ruby into tiny
>> packages. Have a look at http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/RailsOnDebian
>> for
>> help.

> i'm thinking of switching to debian but am kind of a tar.gz kind of package
> guy and don't like the sound of that at all... can any of you ruby/debian
> people give any information on debian as a ruby development platform?

If tar.gz's are your thing, Ara, you might enjoy Gentoo
(http://www.gentoo.org) as well. I've found my gentoo install to be
quite capable as a ruby development platform.

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
(E-Mail Removed)

Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Jamis Buck wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> You don't have RDoc installed. Debian has chopped off Ruby into tiny
>>> packages. Have a look at http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/RailsOnDebian
>>> for
>>> help.

>> i'm thinking of switching to debian but am kind of a tar.gz kind of package
>> guy and don't like the sound of that at all... can any of you ruby/debian
>> people give any information on debian as a ruby development platform?

> If tar.gz's are your thing, Ara, you might enjoy Gentoo
> (http://www.gentoo.org) as well. I've found my gentoo install to be
> quite capable as a ruby development platform.

you are the second person to mention gentoo this week - i'll check it out.

cheers.

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
| bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki

Tobias Luetke

Consider me the thrid, gentoo would be the right choice.

--
Tobi

Jason Sweat

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:12:57 +0900, Tobias Luetke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Consider me the thrid, gentoo would be the right choice.

I dearly love Gentoo as a distro, but I did have one issue with the
ebuild scripts for ruby. I had to manually add the
--enable-install-doc option to the default portage ebuild script for
ruby-1.8.2_pre2 in order to get ri to work correctly. I suggested to
the maintainer of the portage script to add a "doc" USE flag to
control this.

Did anyone else have the same issue I did? Is there a more clever way
around this?

Thanks,

Regards,

Jason
--
http://blog.casey-sweat.us/

Jamis Buck

Jason Sweat wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:12:57 +0900, Tobias Luetke
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Consider me the thrid, gentoo would be the right choice.

> I dearly love Gentoo as a distro, but I did have one issue with the
> ebuild scripts for ruby. I had to manually add the
> --enable-install-doc option to the default portage ebuild script for
> ruby-1.8.2_pre2 in order to get ri to work correctly. I suggested to
> the maintainer of the portage script to add a "doc" USE flag to
> control this.
>
> Did anyone else have the same issue I did? Is there a more clever way
> around this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regards,
>
> Jason

Jason,

It looks like this works now--I have the doc USE flag set, and it went
and built all the ri stuff (and I mean ALL the ri stuff).

However...don't know if this is a gentoo problem or a Jamis problem, but
ri is now broken for me. If I do (for example) "ri Array", I only get a
handful of methods shown to me (abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print,
pretty_print_cycle, quote, to_yaml, to_yaml_type). Anyone else seen
this? Is there a way to fix this so I can use ri again? Please?

- Jamis

--

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:39:49 +0900, Jamis Buck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jason,
>
> It looks like this works now--I have the doc USE flag set, and it went
> and built all the ri stuff (and I mean ALL the ri stuff).
>
> However...don't know if this is a gentoo problem or a Jamis problem, but
> ri is now broken for me. If I do (for example) "ri Array", I only get a
> handful of methods shown to me (abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print,
> pretty_print_cycle, quote, to_yaml, to_yaml_type). Anyone else seen
> this? Is there a way to fix this so I can use ri again? Please?

Here is what my "ri Array" command returns, is that more or less than
you expected?:

----------------------------------------------------------- Class: Array
Arrays are ordered, integer-indexed collections of any object.
Array indexing starts at 0, as in C or Java. A negative index is
assumed to be relative to the end of the array---that is, an index
of -1 indicates the last element of the array, -2 is the next to
last element in the array, and so on.

Includes:
---------
Enumerable(all?, any?, collect, detect, each_with_index, entries,
find, find_all, grep, include?, inject, map, max, member?, min,
partition, reject, select, sort, sort_by, to_a, to_set, zip)

Class methods:
--------------
[], new

Instance methods:
-----------------
&, *, +, -, <<, <=>, ==, [], []=, abbrev, assoc, at, clear,
collect, collect!, compact, compact!, concat, delete, delete_at,
delete_if, each, each_index, empty?, eql?, fetch, fill, first,
flatten, flatten!, frozen?, hash, include?, index, indexes,
indices, initialize_copy, insert, inspect, join, last, length, map,
map!, nitems, pack, pop, push, rassoc, reject, reject!, replace,
reverse, reverse!, reverse_each, rindex, select, shift, size,
slice, slice!, sort, sort!, to_a, to_ary, to_s, transpose, uniq,
uniq!, unshift, values_at, zip, |

Regards,
Jason
--
http://blog.casey-sweat.us/

Jamis Buck

Jason Sweat wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:39:49 +0900, Jamis Buck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Jason,
>>
>>It looks like this works now--I have the doc USE flag set, and it went
>>and built all the ri stuff (and I mean ALL the ri stuff).
>>
>>However...don't know if this is a gentoo problem or a Jamis problem, but
>>ri is now broken for me. If I do (for example) "ri Array", I only get a
>>handful of methods shown to me (abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print,
>>pretty_print_cycle, quote, to_yaml, to_yaml_type). Anyone else seen
>>this? Is there a way to fix this so I can use ri again? Please?

> Here is what my "ri Array" command returns, is that more or less than
> you expected?:

[snip]

That is the minimum that I expected. (It's what ri used to return until
I recompiled ruby with the doc USE flag enabled.)

Here's the complete output from "ri18 Array" that I'm seeing:

----------------------------------------------------------- Class: Array
Sequences: Array#to_yaml

Instance methods:
-----------------
abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print, pretty_print_cycle, quote,
to_yaml, to_yaml_type

And, for Object:

---------------------------------------------------------- Class: Object
(no description...)

Includes:
---------
PP::ObjectMixin(pretty_print, pretty_print_cycle,
pretty_print_inspect, pretty_print_instance_variables)

Instance methods:
is_complex_yaml?, to_yaml, to_yaml_properties, to_yaml_type

I have no idea what is going on. Has anyone else seen this?

- Jamis