Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Upgrading to ruby stable snapshot 2004-10-25 broke working script

Upgrading to ruby stable snapshot 2004-10-25 broke working script

Ruby Noob

An unmodified ruby script stopped working after I upgraded to the latest
Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot (2004-10-25).

WHAT CHANGED:
a. upgraded few weeks old stable snapshot to Ruby 1.8.2 2004-10-25
b. upgraded mod_ruby to 1.2.4
(reverting to old version of mod_ruby did not fix problem)

WHAT DID NOT CHANGE:
a. httpd.conf and ruby.conf (timestamps are months old)
b. my *.rbx and *.rb (timestamps are months old)

ERROR MESSAGE:
error msg: /var/www/ruby/myip.rbx:14: undefined method `sign_msg' for
main:Object (NoMethodError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `load'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `handler'

DETAILS:
The script myip.rbx worked fine before upgrading Ruby to latest stable
snapshot. The older version of Ruby was only a few weeks old.

myip.rbx uses a "require" command to load the .rb file containing the
sign_msg() method. Both scripts have been unmodified for many months.

The .rb file is in a different directory from myip.rbx (same place it
has been for months). The directory is in "RubyAddPath" setting in
ruby.conf which is included by httpd.conf.

Again, not sure why upgrading to latest ruby broke this. It has been
working fine for months. And the ruby version replaced was only a few
weeks old.

SYSTEM:
i686-linux (RedHat AS3)
Apache 2.0.46
Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]
mod_ruby 1.2.4

Ruby Noob

Ruby Noob wrote:
> An unmodified ruby script stopped working after I upgraded to the latest
> Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot (2004-10-25).
>
> WHAT CHANGED:
> a. upgraded few weeks old stable snapshot to Ruby 1.8.2 2004-10-25
> b. upgraded mod_ruby to 1.2.4
> (reverting to old version of mod_ruby did not fix problem)
>
> WHAT DID NOT CHANGE:
> a. httpd.conf and ruby.conf (timestamps are months old)
> b. my *.rbx and *.rb (timestamps are months old)
>
> ERROR MESSAGE:
> error msg: /var/www/ruby/myip.rbx:14: undefined method `sign_msg' for
> main:Object (NoMethodError)
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `load'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `handler'
>
> DETAILS:
> The script myip.rbx worked fine before upgrading Ruby to latest stable
> snapshot. The older version of Ruby was only a few weeks old.
>
> myip.rbx uses a "require" command to load the .rb file containing the
> sign_msg() method. Both scripts have been unmodified for many months.
>
> The .rb file is in a different directory from myip.rbx (same place it
> has been for months). The directory is in "RubyAddPath" setting in
> ruby.conf which is included by httpd.conf.
>
> Again, not sure why upgrading to latest ruby broke this. It has been
> working fine for months. And the ruby version replaced was only a few
> weeks old.
>
> SYSTEM:
> i686-linux (RedHat AS3)
> Apache 2.0.46
> Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]
> mod_ruby 1.2.4

I found yet another script that broke. This time, the script is a very
simple .rhtml file and the following error occurs:

error msg: (eval): (eval): uninitialized constant Apache::ERubyRun
(NameError)
from (eval):0:in `value'

I fixed it by modifying ruby.conf to add:

"RubyRequire apache/eruby-run"

But it worked fine without this fix in the past. Is this a bug with the
latest ruby stable snapshot or is this a known compatibility change we
need to live with?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: Upgrading to ruby stable snapshot 2004-10-25 broke working script"
on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:14:05 +0900, Ruby Noob <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

|An unmodified ruby script stopped working after I upgraded to the latest
|Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot (2004-10-25).

There might be unintentional behavior change. I'd consider it as a
bug if there is. Is there any way I can reproduce error here?

matz.