Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > gems and http proxy authentication

gems and http proxy authentication

Eduardo Fernandez Corrales

Hello,

I am trying to use gems behind a proxy (squid) that requires
user/password for internet access

I have set the http_proxy environment variable like this:

http_proxy=http://loginassword@proxy-hostname:8080

But gems gives the following error:

C:\rubygems-0.8.1>gem query --remote

*** REMOTE GEMS ***
ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
407 Proxy Authentication Required

I have checked the docs, but have not found any parameter or option in
the config file that can solve this.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance.
--
Eduardo Fernández Corrales

Chad Fowler

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:01:32 +0900, Eduardo Fernandez Corrales
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use gems behind a proxy (squid) that requires
> user/password for internet access
>
> I have set the http_proxy environment variable like this:
>
> http_proxy=http://loginassword@proxy-hostname:8080
>
> But gems gives the following error:
>
> C:\rubygems-0.8.1>gem query --remote
>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
> 407 Proxy Authentication Required
>
> I have checked the docs, but have not found any parameter or option in
> the config file that can solve this.
>
> Am I overlooking something?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Eduardo Fernández Corrales

Eduardo, I'm guessing you're the first person to try running gems
behind a proxy that requires authentication. Unfortunately, I don't
have one to even test with. The core of the question is: how do you
make open-uri work with a proxy that requires authentication? I don't
know the answer to that question, but finding the answer will help us
solve this problem for you. I'll try to do some research on my own
and come up with something.

----
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 20,000 gems served!)

IllegalArgumentException with Socket API and Proxy with Proxy.Type.HTTP Greg Java 4 08-16-2012 08:26 PM
Gems, Proxy authentication John T. Ruby 8 12-15-2008 07:24 AM
Gems -- #include <gems.hpp> Tomás C++ 7 03-05-2006 02:48 PM
'private' gems/gems hierarchy Dany Cayouette Ruby 3 11-25-2005 10:55 PM
Confusion about gems and non-gems working together. Lloyd Zusman Ruby 3 06-20-2005 11:23 PM

Advertisments