Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > new to mozilla

new to mozilla

Tendril

I have just installed the latest release of mozilla (on win98 se) and I have
a few questions:

Can I turn off the sidebar so it doesn't appear automatically when I start
the browser.
Can I import my 'favourites' from IE 'on mass' rather than individually.
Can I set the default download folder
Can I set mozilla to open maximised as default

Many thanks

--
Tendril
___________________________

Leonidas Jones

Tendril wrote:

> I have just installed the latest release of mozilla (on win98 se) and I have
> a few questions:
>
> Can I turn off the sidebar so it doesn't appear automatically when I start
> the browser.

Yes. View>>Show/Hide>>Side Bar.

> Can I import my 'favourites' from IE 'on mass' rather than individually.

Should have brought them in when you installed. Don't you have a folder
in Bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorites"? If not, Export your
Favorites to an HTML file, then import in Moz.

> Can I set the default download folder

Download should default to the last used folder. If you send one to
Desktop, the next will go to Desktop until you change it.

> Can I set mozilla to open maximised as default

Yes. It should remember the last setting. If you close out maximized,
it should reopen maximized.

> Many thanks

Welcome to Moz, have a great browsing experience!

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones
Mozilla Champion

Tendril

The application doesn't remember the window setting, it always opens as a
1/3 size window (my resolution is 1024)

It doesn't remeber that I have chosen to hide the side bar.

It didn't give me the option to import favourites when I installed, but I
will try doing as you say.

Thanks

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cFZhb.176675$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tendril wrote:
>
> > I have just installed the latest release of mozilla (on win98 se) and I

have
> > a few questions:
> >
> > Can I turn off the sidebar so it doesn't appear automatically when I

start
> > the browser.

> Yes. View>>Show/Hide>>Side Bar.
>
> > Can I import my 'favourites' from IE 'on mass' rather than individually.

> Should have brought them in when you installed. Don't you have a folder
> in Bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorites"? If not, Export your
> Favorites to an HTML file, then import in Moz.
>
> > Can I set the default download folder

> Download should default to the last used folder. If you send one to
> Desktop, the next will go to Desktop until you change it.
>
> > Can I set mozilla to open maximised as default

> Yes. It should remember the last setting. If you close out maximized,
> it should reopen maximized.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >

> Welcome to Moz, have a great browsing experience!
>
> Lee
> --
> Leonidas Jones
> Mozilla Champion

Leonidas Jones

Tendril wrote:

> The application doesn't remember the window setting, it always opens as a
> 1/3 size window (my resolution is 1024)

Do you have Quick Start enabled? This is a shot in the dark, but, if
you do, disable it and try opening, maximizing and closing and reopening
so it sticks.

> It doesn't remeber that I have chosen to hide the side bar.

All right, when I open the side bar and close Moz, it reopens next time
with the side bar open. If I close it, even without the view setting,
then close and reopen, the side bar is closed.

I still wonder about Quick Launch. With it enabled, Moz never really
does close, so if its on, it may not stick.

Another question to ask is what version of Moz are you using? You say
latest build, but check help, about Mozilla, and tell me the exact build.

Lee

> It didn't give me the option to import favourites when I installed, but I
> will try doing as you say.
>

> Thanks

> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cFZhb.176675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Tendril wrote:
>>

>>>I have just installed the latest release of mozilla (on win98 se) and I

> have
>
>>>a few questions:
>>>
>>>Can I turn off the sidebar so it doesn't appear automatically when I

> start
>
>>>the browser.

>>Yes. View>>Show/Hide>>Side Bar.
>>

>>>Can I import my 'favourites' from IE 'on mass' rather than individually.

>>Should have brought them in when you installed. Don't you have a folder
>>in Bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorites"? If not, Export your
>>Favorites to an HTML file, then import in Moz.
>>

>>>Can I set the default download folder

>>Download should default to the last used folder. If you send one to
>>Desktop, the next will go to Desktop until you change it.
>>

>>>Can I set mozilla to open maximised as default

>>Yes. It should remember the last setting. If you close out maximized,
>>it should reopen maximized.
>>
>>>Many thanks
>>>

>>Welcome to Moz, have a great browsing experience!
>>
>>Lee
>>--
>>Leonidas Jones
>>Mozilla Champion

Tendril

Ok, I have disabled quick launch ( and checked in msconfig as well) and it
is still not rememebering my view settings

My version: 1.4.1

Thanks

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jV_hb.176738$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tendril wrote:
>
> > The application doesn't remember the window setting, it always opens as

> > 1/3 size window (my resolution is 1024)

> Do you have Quick Start enabled? This is a shot in the dark, but, if
> you do, disable it and try opening, maximizing and closing and reopening
> so it sticks.
>

> > It doesn't remeber that I have chosen to hide the side bar.

> All right, when I open the side bar and close Moz, it reopens next time
> with the side bar open. If I close it, even without the view setting,
> then close and reopen, the side bar is closed.
>
> I still wonder about Quick Launch. With it enabled, Moz never really
> does close, so if its on, it may not stick.
>
> Another question to ask is what version of Moz are you using? You say
> latest build, but check help, about Mozilla, and tell me the exact build.
>
> Lee
> >
> > It didn't give me the option to import favourites when I installed, but

> > will try doing as you say.
> >

> > Thanks

> > "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cFZhb.176675$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > have

> > start

> >>Yes. View>>Show/Hide>>Side Bar.

individually.

> >>Should have brought them in when you installed. Don't you have a folder
> >>in Bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorites"? If not, Export your
> >>Favorites to an HTML file, then import in Moz.

> >>Download should default to the last used folder. If you send one to
> >>Desktop, the next will go to Desktop until you change it.

> >>Yes. It should remember the last setting. If you close out maximized,
> >>it should reopen maximized.

> >>Welcome to Moz, have a great browsing experience!
> >>
> >>Lee
> >>--
> >>Leonidas Jones
> >>Mozilla Champion

Leonidas Jones

Tendril wrote:
> Ok, I have disabled quick launch ( and checked in msconfig as well) and it
> is still not rememebering my view settings
>
> My version: 1.4.1
>
> Thanks

> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jV_hb.176738$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Tendril wrote:
>>

>>>The application doesn't remember the window setting, it always opens as

>>>1/3 size window (my resolution is 1024)

>>Do you have Quick Start enabled? This is a shot in the dark, but, if
>>you do, disable it and try opening, maximizing and closing and reopening
>>so it sticks.
>>

>>>It doesn't remeber that I have chosen to hide the side bar.

>>All right, when I open the side bar and close Moz, it reopens next time
>>with the side bar open. If I close it, even without the view setting,
>>then close and reopen, the side bar is closed.
>>
>>I still wonder about Quick Launch. With it enabled, Moz never really
>>does close, so if its on, it may not stick.
>>
>>Another question to ask is what version of Moz are you using? You say
>>latest build, but check help, about Mozilla, and tell me the exact build.
>>
>>Lee
>>
>>>It didn't give me the option to import favourites when I installed, but

>>>will try doing as you say.
>>>

>>>Thanks

>>>"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:cFZhb.176675$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>have

>>>start

> individually.

Okay, I tried all in NS7.1, which is Moz 1.4. Everything worked exactly
as in my Moz 1.5. First of all, did you have a preexisting Netscape or
Mozilla installation? Are you using the same profile.

Try creating a new profile, and see if the same problem exists.

Lee

Leonidas Jones

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Tendril wrote:
>
>> Ok, I have disabled quick launch ( and checked in msconfig as well)
>> and it
>> is still not rememebering my view settings
>>
>> My version: 1.4.1
>>
>> Thanks

>> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jV_hb.176738$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Do you have Quick Start enabled? This is a shot in the dark, but, if
>>> you do, disable it and try opening, maximizing and closing and reopening
>>> so it sticks.

>>> All right, when I open the side bar and close Moz, it reopens next time
>>> with the side bar open. If I close it, even without the view setting,
>>> then close and reopen, the side bar is closed.
>>>
>>> I still wonder about Quick Launch. With it enabled, Moz never really
>>> does close, so if its on, it may not stick.
>>>
>>> Another question to ask is what version of Moz are you using? You say
>>> latest build, but check help, about Mozilla, and tell me the exact
>>> build.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> individually.

> Okay, I tried all in NS7.1, which is Moz 1.4. Everything worked exactly
> as in my Moz 1.5. First of all, did you have a preexisting Netscape or
> Mozilla installation? Are you using the same profile.
>
> Try creating a new profile, and see if the same problem exists.
>
> Lee

Another thought. If you have an existing NS6+ version installed and are
sharing a profile, all sorts of strange things can happen. Again, I
think the best course is to try a new profile and see if the problem
exists in that. If a new profile behaves correctly, the problem is in
the profile.

Lee

Tendril

new to profiles. What is the correct method please?

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Wv0ib.176798$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
> > Tendril wrote:
> >
> >> Ok, I have disabled quick launch ( and checked in msconfig as well)
> >> and it
> >> is still not rememebering my view settings
> >>
> >> My version: 1.4.1
> >>
> >> Thanks

> >> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:jV_hb.176738$(E-Mail Removed)...

as

reopening

time

but

> >> individually.

> > Okay, I tried all in NS7.1, which is Moz 1.4. Everything worked exactly
> > as in my Moz 1.5. First of all, did you have a preexisting Netscape or
> > Mozilla installation? Are you using the same profile.
> >
> > Try creating a new profile, and see if the same problem exists.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> Another thought. If you have an existing NS6+ version installed and are
> sharing a profile, all sorts of strange things can happen. Again, I
> think the best course is to try a new profile and see if the problem
> exists in that. If a new profile behaves correctly, the problem is in
> the profile.
>
> Lee

Leonidas Jones

Tendril wrote:
> new to profiles. What is the correct method please?

Start>>Programs>>Mozilla>>Profile Manager. In Profile Manager, click
Create Profile. Open Moz in the new profile and see if your settings
will stick.

Lee

> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Wv0ib.176798$(E-Mail Removed)...

> as

> reopening

> time

> but

>>>Okay, I tried all in NS7.1, which is Moz 1.4. Everything worked exactly
>>>as in my Moz 1.5. First of all, did you have a preexisting Netscape or
>>>Mozilla installation? Are you using the same profile.
>>>
>>>Try creating a new profile, and see if the same problem exists.
>>>
>>>Lee
>>>

>>Another thought. If you have an existing NS6+ version installed and are
>>sharing a profile, all sorts of strange things can happen. Again, I
>>think the best course is to try a new profile and see if the problem
>>exists in that. If a new profile behaves correctly, the problem is in
>>the profile.
>>
>>Lee

Tendril

That got it. Thanks. Now to sort out the bookmarks.

news:ce1ib.172872$(E-Mail Removed)...