Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Help: xpcom.dll not found

Help: xpcom.dll not found

Frank

When I unzip and open the thunderbird exe. file it says "A required
file xpcom.dll not found?"

Should I go find this dll file in order to try this mail program?

I did start using Mozilla 1.4 browser last week and so far I like it.

Frank

Rick Friedman

Hmmm... xpcom.dll is part of the thunderbird archive. If it's not in the
one you downloaded, perhaps your download is corrupt. Where did you get
it? Is it an official build from Mozilla? If not, you might want to try
the following release from mozilla.org:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...bird-win32.zip

This is the latest, nightly build of Thunderbird. It is the version 0.3
release candidate. Don't let the version number fool you. This is
already, an excellent mail & newsgroup client. I'm using it as my
everyday client, including right now.

Rick

Frank wrote:
> When I unzip and open the thunderbird exe. file it says "A required
> file xpcom.dll not found?"
>
> Should I go find this dll file in order to try this mail program?
>
> I did start using Mozilla 1.4 browser last week and so far I like it.
>
> Frank

Frank

I did find the file in the list when I opened with winzip, but when
I go to the thunderbird exe. file to open it says xpcom.dll file
not found?? I did download the zip file at the below location you
gave...

I downloaded another zip program and had the same problem with it
after opening with winzip and then going to the exe. file...

Could the download manager which is a part of Mozilla have anything
to do with these zip programs not opening because of a missing .dll file??

No problem opening a download exe. program...

Thanks for your help,, Frank

> Hmmm... xpcom.dll is part of the thunderbird archive. If it's not in
> the one you downloaded, perhaps your download is corrupt. Where did
> you get it? Is it an official build from Mozilla? If not, you might
> want to try the following release from mozilla.org:
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...y/2003-10-08-1.
> 5/thunderbird-win32.zip
>
> This is the latest, nightly build of Thunderbird. It is the version
> 0.3 release candidate. Don't let the version number fool you. This is
> already, an excellent mail & newsgroup client. I'm using it as my
> everyday client, including right now.
>
> Rick
>
> Frank wrote:
>> When I unzip and open the thunderbird exe. file it says "A required
>> file xpcom.dll not found?"
>>
>> Should I go find this dll file in order to try this mail program?
>>
>> I did start using Mozilla 1.4 browser last week and so far I like it.
>>
>> Frank

Quivis

In article <Xns9410514663739FrankChomecom@65.24.3.199>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

-> I did find the file in the list when I opened with winzip, but when
-> I go to the thunderbird exe. file to open it says xpcom.dll file
-> not found?? I did download the zip file at the below location you
-> gave...
8>< /snip

It sounds to me as if you're trying to start the program from within
the zip archive file. Although this is possible, it is not advisable to
do so.

Extract all files to an empty directory of your choice, then double-
click the exe file from Explorer.

Is this what you're doing...?

HTH

Quivis.

Frank

Quivis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> In article <Xns9410514663739FrankChomecom@65.24.3.199>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
> -> I did find the file in the list when I opened with winzip, but when
> -> I go to the thunderbird exe. file to open it says xpcom.dll file
> -> not found?? I did download the zip file at the below location you
> -> gave...
> 8>< /snip
>
> It sounds to me as if you're trying to start the program from within
> the zip archive file. Although this is possible, it is not advisable to
> do so.
>
> Extract all files to an empty directory of your choice, then double-
> click the exe file from Explorer.
>
> Is this what you're doing...?
>
> HTH
>

> Quivis.

Your right I did try to start within winzip archives.....I made a folder
and extracted to that folder and everything is running OK....

Thanks for the help,,,,,,,Frank

Guido Jurock

Frank schrieb:

> I did find the file in the list when I opened with winzip, but when
> I go to the thunderbird exe. file to open it says xpcom.dll file
> not found?? I did download the zip file at the below location you
> gave...

You _only_ extracted the file "thunderbird.exe"?

If yes: Unzip the complete (!) zip-file to the folder of your choice.
TB needs _all_ the filed. What Do you think you had to download them
for?

guido

--
"Die gebetsmühlenartige Wiederholung des immer gleichen Arguments, daß
Realnamen nötig sind, weil jeder, der das nicht tut, ein potentieller