Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > COMBO BOX INSTEAD OF DROP DOWN BOX

COMBO BOX INSTEAD OF DROP DOWN BOX

=?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWw=?=

is there a combo box that a user can key something in or select from the drop down list? i added the webcontrol drop down but there is no property to allow the user to key into the text portion of the control.

thanks

Ethan Adams

The problem is that HTML defines no such element, so ASP.NET can't really
create one. We've been wishing that HTML had a combobox ever since HTML
began, I think, and it still doesn't. It is possible, using positioning and
client side script to place a text box on top of a list box and more or less
mimick a combo box, and I suppose one could write a server control that
would do this. However, I have yet to see an implementation of this idea
that is anything but kludgy. My best advice is to think of another way to
design your UI so that you don't need a combo box.

HTH,
Ethan Adams

"Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> is there a combo box that a user can key something in or select from the

drop down list? i added the webcontrol drop down but there is no property to
allow the user to key into the text portion of the control.

> thanks

Ethan Adams

Well, here somebody has really done it with DHTML:

http://www.dbcombo.net/

Still a little kludgy, but not bad.

-- Ethan

"Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> is there a combo box that a user can key something in or select from the

drop down list? i added the webcontrol drop down but there is no property to
allow the user to key into the text portion of the control.

> thanks

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

This one is free with source from Andy Smith:

http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/ComboBox.aspx

"ComboBox Control
This is an emulation of the Windows.Forms ComboBox. It is the combination of
a Textbox, with a DropDownList. For browsers with good script and css
support, the control will display as a normal ComboBox. For older browsers
or those with poor script or css support, the control will display as a pair
of controls, one TextBox and one DropDownList. Either way the serverside
progmattic interface will be the same."