Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Package requests for the prelim. Ruby Production Archive

Package requests for the prelim. Ruby Production Archive

Mauricio Fernández

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 06:55:42AM +0900, James Britt wrote:
> Ah. I thought the default paths, as presented by the installer, were
> complete paths. So I kept entering complete paths. The prompts gave no
> indication that my earlier paths would be reused to build the other paths.

I'll change the messages; if it's bitten you it could bite more people

> > As of now, it is probably better to just install into the normal
> > $prefix, since rpa-base provides enough guarantees to make sure it
> > won't end up cluttered with half-installed RPA ports.

> Are you *sure*? I've had enough issues with
> installing/uninstalling/reinstalling assorted versions of the 1-click
> package. I don't want any overlap between this and my main ruby
> installation.

I'm fairly sure, since:
(1) rpa-base will not overwrite the files it doesn't "own" (i.e. not
managed by it), unless you explicitly indicate that it's fine with
--force (when rpa-base "owns" a file, this means it will remove it on
uninstall *unless* it detects somebody else has modified it).
(2) (de)installs are atomic transactions: either the package is installed
cleanly (which implies passing its associated unit tests in many
cases) or the (partially) unpacked package is removed completely.

Of course, there could be bugs in (2), but I've tested it heavily (must
have run over 10**6 transactions by now and it is AFAIK pretty solid.
I have yet to verify if it's able to survive OS crashes (it is in
theory), but it's hard to do that sort of tests... I've already
verified it's able to survive Ruby crashes.

Take a look at
http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/wiki/w...t_Transactions
for an interesting example.

> I'll go see if I can get this to play well on my laptop.

Please tell me if you have any problem installing/using it, bug reports
are *very* welcome

The good thing about having rpa-base self-install is that if that works,
it's very likely that it will work for other packages too

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Alexander Kellett

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:42:02AM +0900, James Britt wrote:
> (Here I'm trying to install the packages into c:/ruby-rpa/ and related
> subdirectories)
>
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:181:in `mkdir': Invalid argument -
> c:/ruby-rpa/c: (Errno::EINVAL)
>
> Has this been tested on Windows? Is it not meant for Windows users?

used it for a few months with no problems
whatsoever. why are you trying to use unix style
paths on windows? i'm a tad confused i must
admit...

anyways. why not just install in the
directory it suggests?

cheers,
Alex

p.s: i'm on linux again now so haven't
used a rpa-base on windows in the
last week or so

Alexander Kellett

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:34:12PM +0200, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:42:02AM +0900, James Britt wrote:

wow, remind me to use an auto purge on my
mail directories this mail is agesssssssss old.

just ignore that last reply

Alex