Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Project Name Changed to "One-Click Ruby Installer"

[ANN] Project Name Changed to "One-Click Ruby Installer"

Curt Hibbs

We've change the name of the project from "Ruby Installer for Windows" to
the "One-Click Ruby Installer" because we are branching out more platforms
that just Windows -- a version of the One-Click installer for OS X is under
active development.

In addition, we'd like to create One-Click installers for Gnome and KDE (if
we can get someone to volunteer for the job).

Curt

Chad Fowler

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:02:42 +0900, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We've change the name of the project from "Ruby Installer for Windows" to
> the "One-Click Ruby Installer" because we are branching out more platforms
> that just Windows -- a version of the One-Click installer for OS X is under
> active development.
>
> In addition, we'd like to create One-Click installers for Gnome and KDE (if
> we can get someone to volunteer for the job).

Curt, thanks to you and to Andy before you (and the others who have
helped and will) for this wonderful growing project. It's a real
service to the community.

Chad

Richard Lyman

I can not believe it!!

I _love_ this community!

I'm trying to get Ruby to be used in Bioinformatics here at college,
but I can't since they need 'cross-platform' (yeah, they've gone with
Java), and the only thing 'stopping' me ( I haven't recommended it to
them) is that it's too tricky for me to get everything setup for OS
X!!

Please tell me that FOX and FXRuby will be in the installer!!

PLEASE!!

-Rich

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 04:08:50 +0900, Chad Fowler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:02:42 +0900, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > We've change the name of the project from "Ruby Installer for Windows" to
> > the "One-Click Ruby Installer" because we are branching out more platforms
> > that just Windows -- a version of the One-Click installer for OS X is under
> > active development.
> >
> > In addition, we'd like to create One-Click installers for Gnome and KDE (if
> > we can get someone to volunteer for the job).
> >

> Curt, thanks to you and to Andy before you (and the others who have
> helped and will) for this wonderful growing project. It's a real
> service to the community.
>
> Chad

Curt Hibbs

Richard Lyman wrote:

> I can not believe it!!
>
> I _love_ this community!
>
> I'm trying to get Ruby to be used in Bioinformatics here at college,
> but I can't since they need 'cross-platform' (yeah, they've gone with
> Java), and the only thing 'stopping' me ( I haven't recommended it to
> them) is that it's too tricky for me to get everything setup for OS
> X!!
>
> Please tell me that FOX and FXRuby will be in the installer!!
>
> PLEASE!!

Yes, we are planning to include FXRuby.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Chad Fowler wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:02:42 +0900, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > We've change the name of the project from "Ruby Installer for

> Windows" to
> > the "One-Click Ruby Installer" because we are branching out

> more platforms
> > that just Windows -- a version of the One-Click installer for

> OS X is under
> > active development.
> >
> > In addition, we'd like to create One-Click installers for Gnome

> and KDE (if
> > we can get someone to volunteer for the job).
> >

> Curt, thanks to you and to Andy before you (and the others who have
> helped and will) for this wonderful growing project. It's a real
> service to the community.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

However, I have to give full credit for this new page in the story of the
Ruby Installer to Steve Steiner. He is the one who volunteered to do the
development work for the OS X version of the Ruby Installer.

Curt

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

I used darwinports to install Fox, FXRuby, and Freeride on OS X. Worked
like a charm. The only caveat is that the installer only works with the
darwinport version of ruby, so I had to install that, even though I had
installed ruby already. However, one nice thing about the darwinports
ruby is that it configures readline for irb for you automatically
(though I had gotten it setup for regular ruby already).

Now I just need to get DBI and mysql-ruby setup. I think that's now a
bit more complex since I installed mysql via fink.

That said, I look forward to the OSX installer. I immensely appreciate
the Windows one.

Regards,
Nick

Richard Lyman wrote:

>I can not believe it!!
>
>I _love_ this community!
>
>I'm trying to get Ruby to be used in Bioinformatics here at college,
>but I can't since they need 'cross-platform' (yeah, they've gone with
>Java), and the only thing 'stopping' me ( I haven't recommended it to
>them) is that it's too tricky for me to get everything setup for OS
>X!!
>
>Please tell me that FOX and FXRuby will be in the installer!!
>
>PLEASE!!
>
>-Rich
>

>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 04:08:50 +0900, Chad Fowler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:02:42 +0900, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>We've change the name of the project from "Ruby Installer for Windows" to
>>>the "One-Click Ruby Installer" because we are branching out more platforms
>>>that just Windows -- a version of the One-Click installer for OS X is under
>>>active development.
>>>
>>>In addition, we'd like to create One-Click installers for Gnome and KDE (if
>>>we can get someone to volunteer for the job).
>>>

>>Curt, thanks to you and to Andy before you (and the others who have
>>helped and will) for this wonderful growing project. It's a real
>>service to the community.
>>
>>Chad

Curt Hibbs

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:

> I used darwinports to install Fox, FXRuby, and Freeride on OS X. Worked
> like a charm. The only caveat is that the installer only works with the
> darwinport version of ruby, so I had to install that, even though I had
> installed ruby already. However, one nice thing about the darwinports
> ruby is that it configures readline for irb for you automatically
> (though I had gotten it setup for regular ruby already).
>
> Now I just need to get DBI and mysql-ruby setup. I think that's now a
> bit more complex since I installed mysql via fink.
>
> That said, I look forward to the OSX installer. I immensely appreciate
> the Windows one.
>
> Regards,
> Nick

Thanks for the worsd of encouragement. We have a number of issues to work
out still, but I too am looking forward to having the One-Click Ruby
Installer available on multiple platforms!

Now if we could just get someone to volunteer to do Gnome and KDE versions
for us...

Curt