Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > rubygems undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

rubygems undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

Petrucci Fabio

Hi all,
I've got ruby 1.8.1 running on arm platform with no problems and to save space i decided to organize external library using rubygems.
First of all i've installed rubygems 0.7.0 then i've started to install other library using the gem command line:
# gem -i log4r-1.0.5.gem
# gem -i sws-0.3.gem

Everything installed succesfully but

any command i issue to test the installed package, i get this error:

# gem list
*** LOCAL GEMS ***
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

# gem check --alien
Performing the 'alien' operation
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

# gem uninstall sws
Attempting to uninstall gem 'sws'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

even worse, gems library (log4r, sws ...) that use 'require_gem' within their own script produce this error.

Is it a bug???

anyone know how to solve it?.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

biospank.

Jim Weirich

Petrucci Fabio said:
> I've got ruby 1.8.1 running on arm platform with no problems and to save
> space i decided to organize external library using rubygems.
> First of all i've installed rubygems 0.7.0 then i've started to install
> other library using the gem command line:
> # gem -i log4r-1.0.5.gem
> # gem -i sws-0.3.gem

Did you /really/ use a -i? RubyGems 0.7.0 doesn't allow that option
anymore. It should have been ...

# gem install log4r-1.0.5.gem

If you did use a -i, then we might have conflicting versions of gem loaded

> Everything installed succesfully but
>
> any command i issue to test the installed package, i get this error:
>
> # gem list
> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
> undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

Try this with the --traceback option. This will give us a stack dump. E.g.

gem list --traceback

Thanks.

--
-- Jim Weirich http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) http://onestepback.org