Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > How to install eRuby on Mac OS X 10.3

How to install eRuby on Mac OS X 10.3

Jonas Hartmann

Welcome list, I am new to this and to ruby
I want to start ruby and use it instead of php where it is possible to
write small and medium sized web applications using sql and xml. i
tried that in php but was not happy with the object orientation.

I hope that ruby will force me into more oop-like coding style and
enable more possibilities - I once did java for a short period

Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already running:
http://ionas.homeunix.org/

I was following the following information:
http://modruby.net/en/index.rbx/mod_...l.html#label-0

ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ ./configure.rb
--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-shared
checking whether we are using gcc... yes
checking Ruby version... 1.6.8
checking for default charset... iso-8859-1
checking whether enable shared... yes
creating config.h
creating Makefile
ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ make
gcc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
-pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -c eruby_lib.c
ar rcu liberuby.a eruby_lib.o
cc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
-pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -dynamic -bundle
-undefined suppress -flat_namespace -L/usr/lib eruby_lib.o \
-ldl -lobjc -o liberuby.bundle.1.0.5
gcc -L/usr/lib eruby_logo.o eruby_main.o -L. -leruby
/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a -ldl -lobjc -o eruby
gcc: /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a: No such file or
directory
make: *** [eruby] Error 1
ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$

There simply is no libruby.a - how do I get that libary now? how can I
compile it from where?

ionas:/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 ionas$ ls -ha
dln.h node.h rubyio.h util.h
.. env.h pty.bundle rubysig.h
version.h
config.h etc.bundle rbconfig.rb sdbm.bundle
defines.h fcntl.bundle re.h socket.bundle
digest intern.h regex.h st.h
digest.bundle nkf.bundle ruby.h tkutil.bundle

--
Best regards
Jonas Hartmann

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

The following worked for me:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ModRubyWithRuby181

In general, look over http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh for
more Ruby on Macintosh information. And if you have find anything new,
please add to the pages! There are a lot of repeat Mac questions that
would be nicely summarized on the wiki.

The other thing I did to configure on Mac was get readline working with
irb. I downloaded the bundle linked to on this page (it worked fine for
me on 10.3)-
http://cherryville.org/8896/ruby_readline_for_mac.html

irb is an interactive ruby interpreter that is helpful when learning
ruby. readline enables command history in it.

Nick

Jonas Hartmann wrote:

> Welcome list, I am new to this and to ruby
> I want to start ruby and use it instead of php where it is possible to
> write small and medium sized web applications using sql and xml. i
> tried that in php but was not happy with the object orientation.
>
> I hope that ruby will force me into more oop-like coding style and
> enable more possibilities - I once did java for a short period
>
> Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
> ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already running:
> http://ionas.homeunix.org/
>
> I was following the following information:
> http://modruby.net/en/index.rbx/mod_...l.html#label-0
>
> ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ ./configure.rb
> --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-shared
> checking whether we are using gcc... yes
> checking Ruby version... 1.6.8
> checking for default charset... iso-8859-1
> checking whether enable shared... yes
> creating config.h
> creating Makefile
> ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$ make
> gcc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
> -pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -c eruby_lib.c
> ar rcu liberuby.a eruby_lib.o
> cc -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp -fno-common -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H -pipe
> -pipe -Wall -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 -dynamic -bundle
> -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -L/usr/lib eruby_lib.o \
> -ldl -lobjc -o liberuby.bundle.1.0.5
> gcc -L/usr/lib eruby_logo.o eruby_main.o -L. -leruby
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a -ldl -lobjc -o eruby
> gcc: /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a: No such file or
> directory
> make: *** [eruby] Error 1
> ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$
>

> There simply is no libruby.a - how do I get that libary now? how can I
> compile it from where?
>

> ionas:/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 ionas$ ls -ha
> . dln.h node.h rubyio.h util.h
> .. env.h pty.bundle rubysig.h version.h
> config.h etc.bundle rbconfig.rb sdbm.bundle
> defines.h fcntl.bundle re.h socket.bundle
> digest intern.h regex.h st.h
> digest.bundle nkf.bundle ruby.h tkutil.bundle
>

> --
> Best regards
> Jonas Hartmann
> eMail : (E-Mail Removed)
> mobile : +49 160 99 2 44 679
> phone : +49 6151 2 79 45 97

Jonas Hartmann

Whuuu, there is modruby and eruby, what is the difference/their jobs?

--
best regards
Jonas Hartmann

On Jul 12, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:

> [...]
>> -bundle -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -L/usr/lib eruby_lib.o \
>> -ldl -lobjc -o liberuby.bundle.1.0.5
>> gcc -L/usr/lib eruby_logo.o eruby_main.o -L. -leruby
>> /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a -ldl -lobjc -o eruby
>> gcc: /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a: No such file or
>> directory
>> make: *** [eruby] Error 1
>> ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$
>>

>> There simply is no libruby.a - how do I get that libary now? how can
>> I compile it from where?
>>

>> ionas:/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 ionas$ ls -ha
>> . dln.h node.h rubyio.h util.h
>> .. env.h pty.bundle rubysig.h
>> version.h
>> config.h etc.bundle rbconfig.rb sdbm.bundle
>> defines.h fcntl.bundle re.h socket.bundle
>> digest intern.h regex.h st.h
>> digest.bundle nkf.bundle ruby.h tkutil.bundle

Farrel Lifson

eRuby is similair to PHP where the code is actually embedded in the
HTML. Mod_Ruby is like mod_perl allowing for ruby Ruby scripts to be
run efficiently on the server side.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:25:22 +0900, Jonas Hartmann
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> >> -bundle -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -L/usr/lib eruby_lib.o \
> >> -ldl -lobjc -o liberuby.bundle.1.0.5
> >> gcc -L/usr/lib eruby_logo.o eruby_main.o -L. -leruby
> >> /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a -ldl -lobjc -o eruby
> >> gcc: /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0/libruby.a: No such file or
> >> directory
> >> make: *** [eruby] Error 1
> >> ionas:~/Desktop/eruby-1.0.5 ionas$
> >>

> >> There simply is no libruby.a - how do I get that libary now? how can
> >> I compile it from where?
> >>

> >> ionas:/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin7.0 ionas$ ls -ha
> >> . dln.h node.h rubyio.h util.h
> >> .. env.h pty.bundle rubysig.h
> >> version.h
> >> config.h etc.bundle rbconfig.rb sdbm.bundle
> >> defines.h fcntl.bundle re.h socket.bundle
> >> digest intern.h regex.h st.h
> >> digest.bundle nkf.bundle ruby.h tkutil.bundle

Jonas Hartmann

Thanks to your short and good help, I made it working! (Mac OS X 10.3
Apache 1.x with mod_ruby)

Anyone can recommend me some Ruby, preferably eRuby tutorials/examples?
--
best regards
Jonas Hartmann

On Jul 12, 2004, at 4:23 PM, Farrel Lifson wrote:

> eRuby is similair to PHP where the code is actually embedded in the
> HTML. Mod_Ruby is like mod_perl allowing for ruby Ruby scripts to be
> run efficiently on the server side.
>
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:25:22 +0900, Jonas Hartmann
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Whuuu, there is modruby and eruby, what is the difference/their jobs?
>>
>> --
>> best regards
>> Jonas Hartmann
>> eMail : (E-Mail Removed)
>> mobile : +49 160 99 2 44 679
>> phone : +49 6151 2 79 45 97
>>
>> On Jul 12, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:
>>
>>> The following worked for me:
>>>
>>> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ModRubyWithRuby181
>>>
>>> In general, look over http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh
>>> for more Ruby on Macintosh information. And if you have find anything
>>> new, please add to the pages! There are a lot of repeat Mac questions
>>> that would be nicely summarized on the wiki.
>>>
>>> The other thing I did to configure on Mac was get readline working
>>> with irb. I downloaded the bundle linked to on this page (it worked
>>> fine for me on 10.3)-
>>> http://cherryville.org/8896/ruby_readline_for_mac.html
>>>
>>> irb is an interactive ruby interpreter that is helpful when learning
>>> ruby. readline enables command history in it.
>>>
>>> Nick

Ollivier Robert

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:30:34 +0900, Jonas Hartmann wrote:
> Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
> ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already running:
> http://ionas.homeunix.org/

It is probably easier to install and configure DarwinPorts
<http://www.opendarwin.org/> and use all the ruby modules from
there.

That way you'll get Ruby 1.8 (system one is 1.6. and lots of
modules.

Jonas Hartmann

On Jul 13, 2004, at 12:42 AM, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:30:34 +0900, Jonas Hartmann wrote:
>> Can one hand me over some tutorial/documentation links how to set up
>> ruby/eruby and configure apache on Mac OS X? apache is already
>> running:
>> http://ionas.homeunix.org/

> It is probably easier to install and configure DarwinPorts
> <http://www.opendarwin.org/> and use all the ruby modules from
> there.
>
> That way you'll get Ruby 1.8 (system one is 1.6. and lots of
> modules.

system one is 1.6.8?
The one Mac OS X ships, yes.
I used darwinports and I was not happy/successful, then I made it by
hand and it works fine now