Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > OT: The next Netscape

OT: The next Netscape

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

I don't know if this is OT or not, but I've heard that Netscape aren't
going to continue it after version 7.1 (Mozilla 1.4).
Is this true and if not are they likely to release a new version when
Mozilla 1.5 final comes put (probably this week, as someone on this
newsgroup said).

Cheers,
Anton

Leonidas Jones

Anton G˙sen wrote:

> I don't know if this is OT or not, but I've heard that Netscape aren't
> going to continue it after version 7.1 (Mozilla 1.4).
> Is this true and if not are they likely to release a new version when
> Mozilla 1.5 final comes put (probably this week, as someone on this
> newsgroup said).
>
> Cheers,
> Anton

There will be no new versions of Netscape as we know it. TW has pulled
the plug on new decelopment. There may. possibly, be a 7.1.1 based on
1.4.1 when it comes out, but probably not, unless there are major
security issues.

Any new NS versions would depend on some company taking over the NS name
and reinstituting development. Many rumors, all, so far as I know, just
speculation.

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones
Mozilla Champion

Keith Bowes

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> There will be no new versions of Netscape as we know it. TW has pulled
> the plug on new decelopment. There may. possibly, be a 7.1.1 based on
> 1.4.1 when it comes out, but probably not, unless there are major
> security issues.
>
> Any new NS versions would depend on some company taking over the NS name
> and reinstituting development. Many rumors, all, so far as I know, just
> speculation.

I don't see why people want Netscape to continue, anyway. Netscape has
a very bad public reputation and it was always behind Mozilla. Mozilla
is great, Beonex comes with plug-ins, K-Meleon, Galeon, Camino, etc. are
lightweight, etc. There's no real need for Netscape for anything other
than being a well-known product.

Long live Gecko! Die, Trident! Die!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=

Keith Bowes wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>

>> There will be no new versions of Netscape as we know it. TW has
>> pulled the plug on new decelopment. There may. possibly, be a 7.1.1
>> based on 1.4.1 when it comes out, but probably not, unless there are
>> major security issues.
>>
>> Any new NS versions would depend on some company taking over the NS
>> name and reinstituting development. Many rumors, all, so far as I
>> know, just speculation.
>>

> I don't see why people want Netscape to continue, anyway. Netscape has
> a very bad public reputation and it was always behind Mozilla. Mozilla
> is great, Beonex comes with plug-ins, K-Meleon, Galeon, Camino, etc. are
> lightweight, etc. There's no real need for Netscape for anything other
> than being a well-known product.
>
> Long live Gecko! Die, Trident! Die!

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've been scared to go over to Mozilla from
Netscape, but I've promised myself I will when 1.5 comes out. Although
if someone did take over Netscape and carry on making it, I'd probably
use that, don't ask me why!

Anton