Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [SemiOT] Concerning package names

[SemiOT] Concerning package names

Daniel Berger

All,

Please do me a favor and stop putting "ruby" in your package names. I
know it's Ruby. No one is going to accidentally think they were
supposed to get a Java library from the RAA. Besides, you're screwing
up my tab autocomplete.

That is all.

Regards,

Dan

Florian Gross

Daniel Berger wrote:

> Please do me a favor and stop putting "ruby" in your package names. I
> know it's Ruby. No one is going to accidentally think they were
> supposed to get a Java library from the RAA. Besides, you're screwing
> up my tab autocomplete.

I think that it is a good idea at least for Ruby libraries which are
just bindings to libraries written in other languages. (C and C++ for
example.)

Without the "ruby"-prefix there would be a name collision in that case.

> Regards,
> Dan

More regards,
Florian Gross

Alex McHale

I think perhaps the point being for in the Ruby-centric repositories
for libraries to not be named sqlite-ruby or ruby-sqlite as it is.
Talk about confusing, that example kills me. I don't think that
anyone would argue with it being named ruby-sqlite or ruby-mysql, etc,
in the Debian repositories?

Alex McHale

On Tue, 25 May 2004 03:43:45 +0900, Florian Gross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Daniel Berger wrote:
>
> > Please do me a favor and stop putting "ruby" in your package names. I
> > know it's Ruby. No one is going to accidentally think they were
> > supposed to get a Java library from the RAA. Besides, you're screwing
> > up my tab autocomplete.

> I think that it is a good idea at least for Ruby libraries which are
> just bindings to libraries written in other languages. (C and C++ for
> example.)
>
> Without the "ruby"-prefix there would be a name collision in that case.
>
> > Regards,
> > Dan

> More regards,
> Florian Gross

gabriele renzi

il Tue, 25 May 2004 03:49:08 +0900, Alex McHale <(E-Mail Removed)>
ha scritto::

>I think perhaps the point being for in the Ruby-centric repositories
>for libraries to not be named sqlite-ruby or ruby-sqlite as it is.
>Talk about confusing, that example kills me. I don't think that
>anyone would argue with it being named ruby-sqlite or ruby-mysql, etc,
>in the Debian repositories?
>
>Alex McHale

and what if I need to look for it on google or other search engines?
Knowing a pkg's name may be useful from time to time, and it ned to be
classified in this cases.
I agree that for libraries that are not bindings to existing one the
ruby prefix/suffix may be omitted but not that great problem anyway ;P