Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Break points IN ruby code?

Reply
Thread Tools

Break points IN ruby code?

 
 
Ken Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
I've been having trouble setting break points in certain ruby constructs
when debugging. Is there a way in Ruby to cause program being run -rdebug
to manually issue a break so as to return control to the debugger at the
point I need it? (If not, I think this would be a great feature for a
future release of Ruby, IMHO.)

Thanks!

Ken.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Martin Weber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:53:53AM +0900, Ken Hilton wrote:
> (...) Is there a way in Ruby to cause program being run -rdebug
> to manually issue a break so as to return control to the debugger at the
> point I need it? (...)


Finally a(nother) good use for a continuation

-Martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
Ok, clue me in. What pray-tell is a "continuation"???

Ken.

"Martin Weber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:53:53AM +0900, Ken Hilton wrote:
> > (...) Is there a way in Ruby to cause program being run -rdebug
> > to manually issue a break so as to return control to the debugger at the
> > point I need it? (...)

>
> Finally a(nother) good use for a continuation
>
> -Martin
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Sparshatt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
Ken Hilton wrote:

>Ok, clue me in. What pray-tell is a "continuation"???
>
>Ken.
>
>"Martin Weber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>
>>On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:53:53AM +0900, Ken Hilton wrote:
>>
>>
>>>(...) Is there a way in Ruby to cause program being run -rdebug
>>>to manually issue a break so as to return control to the debugger at the
>>>point I need it? (...)
>>>
>>>

>>Finally a(nother) good use for a continuation
>>
>>-Martin
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
>
>
>
>

This was recently discussed on this mailing list. If you search the
archives for "what is borges?" then you'll find some usefull links to
discussions about continuations

HTH

--
Mark Sparshatt



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
More precisely, break points set in certain constructs fail to be triggered,
e.g., a block attached to a method call, or break point set on a line in a
file that's required but has yet to loaded via its require '' statement.
Hope that helps.

Ken.

"Ken Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nF6oc.71767$Ik.5202570@attbi_s53...
> I've been having trouble setting break points in certain ruby constructs
> when debugging. Is there a way in Ruby to cause program being run -rdebug
> to manually issue a break so as to return control to the debugger at the
> point I need it? (If not, I think this would be a great feature for a
> future release of Ruby, IMHO.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
Can you please elaborate? The docs on continuation/callcc are pretty
opaque.

Thx,

Ken.

"Martin Weber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:53:53AM +0900, Ken Hilton wrote:
> > (...) Is there a way in Ruby to cause program being run -rdebug
> > to manually issue a break so as to return control to the debugger at the
> > point I need it? (...)

>
> Finally a(nother) good use for a continuation
>
> -Martin
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
`if (!p ? i++ : 0) break;' == `if (!p){ i++; break;}' ? lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com C Programming 12 04-14-2008 07:59 AM
How to get debugger back to set up break points in code behind =?Utf-8?B?TGlicw==?= ASP .Net 0 07-27-2006 01:34 PM
Debugger doent stop at break points Praveena ASP .Net 1 06-09-2004 06:30 PM
Debugger not stopping at break points in VS2002? Kathy Burke ASP .Net 3 12-30-2003 05:09 AM
Server-Side Break Points Daniel Klimes ASP General 0 10-03-2003 09:20 AM



Advertisments