Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] RDT 0.4.1

[ANN] RDT 0.4.1

Chris Williams

The Ruby Development Tools Plugin for Eclipse v0.4.1 has been released.

Download:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...3&package_id=4
3880&release_id=237095

Documentation: http://213.203.244.123/rdt/doc/html/index.html

New Since 0.4.0:
- Outline refresh and marker creation (via a parse) are re-generated
after a 500 ms idle period in the Ruby Editor. This speeds the
performance of the editor considerably (Think "Woah! That's fast" -
Sorry for our earlier hack of reparsing on each refresh!)
- Option to use spaces instead of tabs ("inline", not just after
formatting)
- Configurable indent level for formatting action
- Configurable filtering in the Ruby Resources View (only Ruby files, or
all files)
- Link to Editor option in the Ruby Resources View
- .gem, .gemspec, .cgi, .rhtml, rakefile and .rbw files are all now
recognized as "Ruby" files (shown in the Ruby Resources View and
editable)
- Larger set of syntax warnings and ability to toggle their creation
(since it is still currently experimental and creates some "false
positive" warnings)
- Syntax Highlighting color defaults now match the Java editor (no more
pink comments!)
- A number of bugfixes

Major Features:
- Works with Eclipse 3.0
- Ruby Debugger (currently works with Ruby 1.6.8 - see the documentation
or wiki for more information on different versions)
- Ruby Resources View
- Link to editor
- Ability to toggle filtering to only "ruby" files
- Ruby Editor with:
- Ruby Outline View
- Code Completion (current script's elements and keywords)
- Syntax Highlighting (with configurable colors)
- Syntax Validation (Warnings and errors) toggle
- Visual diff of current file with latest revision on disk or in CVS
- Ruby Project Wizard

For a more full description of what's new in this version please refer
to: http://213.203.244.123/wiki/wiki.pht...e=Release_Plan

The Project Wiki is up at:
http://213.203.244.123/wiki/wiki.phtml?title=Main_Page

Please if you use Eclipse, take a look at this project - we're working
towards bringing the power of the JDT to Ruby. Dynamic languages like
Ruby and Python need more dynamic tools for support and to help spread
word!

Markus has done a tremendous job with this release - you have him alone
to thank for the large majority of the new content in it. As always we
encourage bug reports and feature requests so we can get a handle on
what everyone needs and wants in their ruby editor!

Chris Morris

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> I've recently started a new job in a Java shop and so I've just
> started using Eclipse as well. I'm currently using the 2.1 maintenance
> release but was thinking about upgrading to the latest 3.0 milestone
> build. Do any of you regular users of Eclipse have an opinion about
> how stable the 3.0 series is at this point? Should I just wait for the
> final release at the end of June?

I've been using 3.0 M7 and 3.0 M8 for some time now, and haven't had any
problems. Occasionally, it seems the first time I do a search on some
Java member, it comes up with nothing, then if I immediately retry it,
it finds the hits I was expecting. I haven't played around with it to
see anything more specific. But the calling/called methods hierarchy
stuffs are awesome, worth the trip to 3.0, IMO.

I was not a 2.1 user for very long, so I don't know if there was
anything in 2.1 that substantially changed.

--
Chris
http://clabs.org