Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Best GUI Toolkit for a Project

Best GUI Toolkit for a Project

Bill Atkins

I'm about to start work on a project to implement a graphical instant
messaging client in Ruby, but I'm having a tough time figuring out
what toolkit to choose. I would need a toolkit that meets the
following criteria:

1 small footprint and download size
2 has a tree control that allows me to specify fonts for individual
items
3 nice programming interface
4 works well on X and Win32
5 antialiasing is a plus

I looked at Tk, but can't figure out how to get trees to work. Also,
it's memory footprint is larger than FOX's. However, Tk is a smaller
download and I like its programming interface. It also works fairly
well on both Win32 and X.

FOX has a small memory footprint, but is several times larger than Tk.
Also, its tree control doesn't allow the programmer to set fonts for
individual widgets. It lacks Tk's Text widget as well, although
FXScintilla seems like it might be a good substitute for that.

I haven't looked into wxRuby or Gtk much.

What toolkit would be best suited for this?

Thanks,
Bill Atkins

Florent 'flure' C.

Le Thu, 06 May 2004 16:14:59 -0700, Bill Atkins a écrit*:

> I'm about to start work on a project to implement a graphical instant
> messaging client in Ruby, but I'm having a tough time figuring out
> what toolkit to choose.

Try Glade, it saves the GUI in an XML file which you can load with the
Glade API. It's what I use on my project and it's great.

--
Florent "flure" C.
Décrypter l'@ pour répondre

Niklas Frykholm

> I looked at Tk, but can't figure out how to get trees to work.

If you read Python you can look at the source code for Leo:

http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html

There is code there for a Tk tree widget. It's also a nice program BTW.

// Niklas