Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

Sarah Tanembaum

Beside its an opensource and supported by community, what's the fundamental
differences between PostgreSQL and those high-price commercial database (and
some are bloated such as Oracle) from software giant such as Microsoft SQL
Server, Oracle, and Sybase?

Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial
application? Thanks

Rove Monteux

Bit offtopic, but yes, indeed it is. Starting point on that,

http://advocacy.postgresql.org/casestudies/

Cheers

Rove

--
Rove Monteux
Systems Administrator

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

>Beside its an opensource and supported by community, what's the fundamental
>differences between PostgreSQL and those high-price commercial database (and
>some are bloated such as Oracle) from software giant such as Microsoft SQL
>Server, Oracle, and Sybase?
>
>Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial
>application? Thanks

Volker Hetzer

"Sarah Tanembaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c78jfi$vomj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Beside its an opensource and supported by community, what's the fundamental
> differences between PostgreSQL and those high-price commercial database (and
> some are bloated such as Oracle) from software giant such as Microsoft SQL
> Server, Oracle, and Sybase?
>
> Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial
> application? Thanks

No idea. What I like about oracle is the tools, especially rman and the wizards
and also the support. Paying for something gives me power over the guy I pay.
Also, I like to have lots of little screws to tailor my database to the specific hardware
and load profile.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

Fred Emmott

Tom Copeland

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 14:23, Fred Emmott wrote:
> > Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial
> > application? Thanks

PostgreSQL runs RubyForge... it's not very high volume - half million
records, 70-80K queries a day - but it does the job.

<shameless>
Good tools for it too! http://pqa.rubyforge.org/
</shameless>

Yours,

Tom

Armin Roehrl

Postgresql and MySQL are both very impressive.

The latest Oracle 10g comes with zillions of features that might
be relevant to you or not.

Oracle 10g has many features you might maybe never need,
but mysql cluster does not yet contain. I do not know much
about the latest DB2 clustering possibilities.

These "monster" Databases like Oracle are more than just
a database. You have tons of platform integration possibilities.

I think the choice really depends on what you are going todo
and there is no simple answer.

Good luck,
-Armin

rkusenet

"Daniel Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > Beside its an opensource and supported by community, what's the fundamental
> > differences between PostgreSQL and those high-price commercial database (and
> > some are bloated such as Oracle) from software giant such as Microsoft SQL
> > Server, Oracle, and Sybase?
> >
> > Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial
> > application? Thanks

> PostgreSQL is highly overrated and not suitable for any environment
> where little things like crash recovery and security are a priority.

Why postgresSQL?? Why don't u say that all RDBMS except Oracle is
highly overrated. This way u don't have to fear about ur job for any
foreseeable future.

Your attitude reminds me of the attitude Americans had towards outsourcing
some 4/5 yrs ago. At that time all they could do is to arrogantly dismiss
outsourcing as unsustainable model. We all know what happened to them today.

I see lot of similarity between movement towards outsourcing few yrs
ago and now movement towards open source database. US companies, after
achieving cost savings thru outsourcing will next turn their attention
to money guzzling enterprise software like RDBMS. How long do you think
it will take them to realize that most of them don't deserve the price
tag they pay.

See ya after 3 yrs in Bangalore

rkusenet

"Daniel Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Because saying so wouldn't be true. There are documented security and
> recovery practices for all of the commercial RDBMS products. There are
> books, case studies, and years of experience from industry professionals
> supporting the fact that while they may be different ... they all work.
> The same can not be said for PostgreSQL. MySQL, in this regard, has a
> far better record.
>
> Care to disagree? Fine. Provide the names of 5 major commercial
> installations of PostgreSQL.

Mine was a comment on ur attitude towards any non oracle product.
I can show examples where you attacked MYSQL also. Just like you
attack DB2/Informix and your pet hate object SQLServer.

You are right that MySQL has a far better record than PostgreSQL
and IMO they will give all commercial RDBMS a run for their money.

I can only spell PostgreSQL. So I can't name any installations
of PostgreSQL.

> There ... gave you five more for free. If you've got something to
> talk about ... name names ... otherwise stop promoting freeware
> as though it was worth more than its price.

Freeware also includes MySQL. (actually they are no longer free
for profit oriented corporations)

Mikito Harakiri

Fred Emmott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I would recommend MySQL if you are looking for an alternative. I know
> nothing of PostgreSQL, but I know that MySQL is suitable for use as a
> high-usage database.

You are kidding, right? Out of curiosity I took a look at MySQL
performance tuning manual. It's almost empty. The example where their
engine picks up Cartesian Product due to type mismatch is strikingly
naive. Scanning a single table by index that MySQL seems to emphasize
is not a benchmark.

Dusan Bolek

"rkusenet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c78quu$136n3$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> Your attitude reminds me of the attitude Americans had towards outsourcing
> some 4/5 yrs ago. At that time all they could do is to arrogantly dismiss
> outsourcing as unsustainable model. We all know what happened to them today.

Yes, you've got the point. Behind both of these models (outsourcing
and free soft) is the idea that the quality is not important, the only
thing that matter are costs and their cuts. And you're also true that
freeware alternatives will earn their place. In the world where CIO is
one year temp job and the best thing on CIO's CV is cutting cost to
10% and sack off 80% of internal staff because of outsourcing to
India, in this world free databases are very tempting way to go. Of
course, the outcome will be lowered availability, higher maintenance
costs, security problems and damaged business reputation, but who gave
a f*ck, we saved 90% of our internal IT budget.

--
Dusan Bolek

Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
be burnt as a SPAM.