Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > RubyGem behind an authenticating proxy

RubyGem behind an authenticating proxy

Adriano Rodrigues Ferreira

I would like to use RubyGem from behind an authenticating proxy, Squid, to
be exact.

There is the -P option, but I couldn't get it right. I tried things like

gem -P=http://proxy.mydomain.com:3128/ -Ri module
gem --http_proxy=http://99.2.22.22:3128/ -Ri module (with IP numbers)

and I got just

Attempting remote installation of 'RedCloth'
407 Proxy Authentication Required

Then I tried URLs like this:

http://userass@96.2.22.22:3128/

and also setting environment variables
HTTP_PROXY
HTTP_PROXY_USER
HTTP_PROXY_PASS

But it really didn't care for my efforts. Anybody can give me some
instruction of how to make it work? I am using Windows 2000 (shame one me)
and "ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-mswin32]".

Best regards,
Adriano.

Gavin Sinclair

On Wednesday, May 5, 2004, 2:55:34 AM, Adriano wrote:

> I would like to use RubyGem from behind an authenticating proxy, Squid, to
> be exact.

I can't offer any real help; I can only say that RubyGems' proxy
handling is completely outsourced to 'open-uri'. If you can
demonstrate a simple app using just that, in which your particular
proxy works, it would help.

Cheers,
Gavin