Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby on (SuSE?) Linux

Ruby on (SuSE?) Linux

dhtapp

List,

I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
attempt my very first Linux installation.

I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)

After looking at the various brands, I've about decided that SuSE is the
best way for me to go, but I haven't purchased anything yet. (Yes, I've
been to the linuxiso site, but I'm thinking a detailed manual is a really
good idea the first time around.)

Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.

I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
reply privately.

Thanks!

- dan

Mark Sparshatt

dhtapp wrote:

>List,
>
>I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
>attempt my very first Linux installation.
>
>I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
>never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
>OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)
>
>After looking at the various brands, I've about decided that SuSE is the
>best way for me to go, but I haven't purchased anything yet. (Yes, I've
>been to the linuxiso site, but I'm thinking a detailed manual is a really
>good idea the first time around.)
>
>Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
>being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
>work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.
>
>I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
>reply privately.

I'm using SUSE 9.1 on one of my computers and Ruby version 1.8.0 is a
part of that distro.

SUSE have a live eval CD that you can download for free from their site.
You might want to try that to make sure that SUSE does everything you want.

--
Mark Sparshatt

Jean-Hugues ROBERT

At 06:34 28/04/2004 +0900, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
>attempt my very first Linux installation.
>
>I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
>never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
>OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)
>
>After looking at the various brands, I've about decided that SuSE is the
>best way for me to go, but I haven't purchased anything yet. (Yes, I've
>been to the linuxiso site, but I'm thinking a detailed manual is a really
>good idea the first time around.)
>
>Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
>being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
>work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.
>
>I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
>reply privately.
>
>Thanks!
>
>- dan

If you love Ruby, maybe you want to have a look at Rubyx.
http://www.rubyx.org/
Rubyx is a Linux packaging built using Ruby scripts.
Kind of weird I guess, but I am curious of what the result
is (I never used it myself).

Yours,

Jean-Hugues.

Web: http://hdl.handle.net/1030.37/1.1
Phone: +33 (0) 4 92 27 74 17

Stephan Kämper

Hi.

dhtapp wrote:
> I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
> attempt my very first Linux installation.

Welcome!

> I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
> never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
> OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)

> Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
> being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
> work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.

Ruby is built 'on and for' Linux (as far as I know), so I wouldn't
expect any serious problems.
I run and build (well built, actually - I don't do it every day Ruby
on a SuSE 9.0 system without any problems.

> I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
> reply privately.

That's perfectly OK. We're the Ruby community.

Happy rubying

Stephan

Mike Z

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Stephan Kämper wrote:

> Hi.
>
> dhtapp wrote:
> > I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
> > attempt my very first Linux installation.

> Welcome!
>
> > I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
> > never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
> > OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)

> > Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
> > being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
> > work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.

> Ruby is built 'on and for' Linux (as far as I know), so I wouldn't
> expect any serious problems.
> I run and build (well built, actually - I don't do it every day Ruby
> on a SuSE 9.0 system without any problems.

And SuSE are even kind enough to package Ruby as part of the distribution.
Sure, they're still using a 1.6 release, but the maintainers have been
very receptive to feedback ("please please please build with readline
support installed" "sure thing- here you go").

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Z <(E-Mail Removed)> - it's an apathy thing