Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby blogs

Ruby blogs

Ian Macdonald

I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
and for Ruby programmers.

So far, I've tried rb.log and rublog. I like the power of the former,
but I also like the elegant simplicity of the latter and the fact that
rublog can now handle Movable Style stylesheets.

One thing I wish I could do with rublog, however, is store my articles
in .rhtml files and embed Ruby code in them, for execution by eRuby. It
doesn't seem to be set up to do this. Am I mistaken about this or do I
need to add this functionality myself?

A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
it myself.

Thanks,

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald | If we don't survive, we don't do anything
System Administrator | else. -- John Sinclair

Jim Weirich

Ian Macdonald said:
> A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
> RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
> it myself.

To do this, you need to write a converter, put it in the converters
directory and then include it in your main blog script. Given that the
bluecloth library handles the details of text=>html conversion, all you
need is a few glue methods. Look at the existing converters for example.

I did this in about 15 minutes for BlueCloth, starting from scratch and
never looking at a converter before. Its really that easy.

> One thing I wish I could do with rublog, however, is store my articles
> in .rhtml files and embed Ruby code in them, for execution by eRuby. It
> doesn't seem to be set up to do this. Am I mistaken about this or do I
> need to add this functionality myself?

Again, this is a matter of writing a converter. I've not used eruby, but
if you can call eruby to turn a text string into HTML, then this would be
as trivial as the BlueCloth conversion.

Seriously, I'm terribly impressed with how easy it is to extend Rublog
(Great job Dave!). I'd love to hear Chad's talk at the O'Reilly Open
Source Convention
(http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs...ew/e_sess/5322).

--
-- Jim Weirich (E-Mail Removed) http://onestepback.org

gabriele renzi

il Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:03:42 +0900, Ian Macdonald <(E-Mail Removed)> ha
scritto::

>I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
>and for Ruby programmers.

and don't forget to subscribe to artima.com ruby buzz

<snip>

>A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
>RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
>it myself.

At least I know of:
http://zh.yazzy.org/blog/archives/20...extile-plugin/

Laurent Sansonetti

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 18:03, Ian Macdonald wrote:
> I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
> and for Ruby programmers.
>
> So far, I've tried rb.log and rublog. I like the power of the former,
> but I also like the elegant simplicity of the latter and the fact that
> rublog can now handle Movable Style stylesheets.

Did you ever try tDiary? http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdiary/

Stable, easy to install and use, extensible via plug-ins and themes,
etc... Very nice.

Cheers,

--
Laurent

Ian Macdonald

On Sat 17 Apr 2004 at 03:23:28 +0900, Chad Fowler wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Ian Macdonald wrote:
>
> # I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
> # and for Ruby programmers.
> #
> # So far, I've tried rb.log and rublog. I like the power of the former,
> # but I also like the elegant simplicity of the latter and the fact that
> # rublog can now handle Movable Style stylesheets.
> #
> # One thing I wish I could do with rublog, however, is store my articles
> # in .rhtml files and embed Ruby code in them, for execution by eRuby. It
> # doesn't seem to be set up to do this. Am I mistaken about this or do I
> # need to add this functionality myself?
> #
>
> You would need to add that functionality yourself. It would be *really*
> easy. Have a look at any of the files under "convertors/".
>
> # A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
> # RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
> # it myself.
> #
>
> I did BlueCloth. It's on my machine at home. You could probably do it
> after looking at the files I mention above faster than I could get home
> and send it to you.

You were right!

I haven't decided on which colour cloth I like yet, red or blue, so I
made converters for both in just a few minutes. RubLog really does have
a sweet architecture.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald | Nobody said computers were going to be
System Administrator | polite.

best ruby blogs? Nicholas Stewart Ruby 2 01-29-2011 11:11 PM
aggregated blogs on ruby:New site Ruby Freak Ruby 9 09-13-2006 09:19 PM
Blogs in ASP.Net T. Wong ASP .Net 1 01-01-2006 07:28 PM
Get Help -- Forums/Tutorials/Tips+Tricks/Blogs/ETC. csheppard91@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 12-24-2005 02:21 AM
New Java/J2EE support forum and blogs msenin@covad.net Java 0 05-26-2005 07:08 PM

Advertisments