Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > installing freshly built Ruby under Cygwin

installing freshly built Ruby under Cygwin

Phil Tomson

I'm running the cygwin tools on an XP box. I've set up the MinGW
environment there and build a MinGW ruby-1.8.1. I did a 'make install'
and I see that it is installing ruby to /usr/local/bin (at least that's
what it's reporting to stdout) but afterwards when I look in
/usr/local/bin there is nothing there. Same with /usr/local/lib, so make
install seems to have done nothing in this case. The 'standard' ruby
1.8.1 that comes with Cygwin (if you select it) is installed in /usr/bin,
so I don't see that there would be any conflict.

Anyone else run into this?

Phil

WATANABE Hirofumi

Hi,

Phil Tomson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm running the cygwin tools on an XP box. I've set up the MinGW
> environment there and build a MinGW ruby-1.8.1. I did a 'make install'
> and I see that it is installing ruby to /usr/local/bin (at least that's
> what it's reporting to stdout) but afterwards when I look in
> /usr/local/bin there is nothing there. Same with /usr/local/lib, so make
> install seems to have done nothing in this case. The 'standard' ruby
> 1.8.1 that comes with Cygwin (if you select it) is installed in /usr/bin,
> so I don't see that there would be any conflict.
>

> Anyone else run into this?

Check X:/usr/local. MinGW is not Cygwin.

--
eban

Phil Tomson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
WATANABE Hirofumi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Phil Tomson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I'm running the cygwin tools on an XP box. I've set up the MinGW
>> environment there and build a MinGW ruby-1.8.1. I did a 'make install'
>> and I see that it is installing ruby to /usr/local/bin (at least that's
>> what it's reporting to stdout) but afterwards when I look in
>> /usr/local/bin there is nothing there. Same with /usr/local/lib, so make
>> install seems to have done nothing in this case. The 'standard' ruby
>> 1.8.1 that comes with Cygwin (if you select it) is installed in /usr/bin,
>> so I don't see that there would be any conflict.
>>

>> Anyone else run into this?

>Check X:/usr/local. MinGW is not Cygwin.

Oh, I see. The confusing thing is that I'm doing all of this in a Cygwin
Bash shell. /usr/local/bin in the bash shell != C:/usr/local/bin (MinGW's
view). Thanks.

Phil